Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call yesterday from a place that wants 7 dump trucks done. I quoted him $350 each truck over the phone they only want all sides of the dump box done. They are about 40 feet all the way around and 4' high. I was thinking of using crushed glass or copper slag. Do you think my price was too high I also told him I would do 1 at $350 and if it comes off easy then that would be the price for the rest. Never blasted a dump truck so I just need some input. Was suppose to hear back yesterday haven't heard back so maybe I was too high.

Attachments

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After you said it is tough to get $1000 out of car these days I lowered my prices now seem to be getting calls. I ran a new ad in craigslist for $500 all exterior of a car including engine compartment. If I can get more coming in the door be better then trying to get more money of fewer jobs. My biggest problem now is most of these guys have no area to blast they live in areas where I can't make all that dust from soda. Even glass would be too much. I'm thinking of building a collapsible portable enclosure with some dust collection fans. As long as I can find power to plug them in I would get at least 4 times the business.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
That's a fine price. I took original paint off a case and it came right off easy. Watch out for all that good paint and glass on the cab. Be mindfull of the hydraulics. They can take the dust they are ment for that. They must not be scuffed though by the glass it will ruin them. Looks like you can't even see them if they leave the dump down so shouldn't be a problem. But you may have to lift it to get between the body and the cab.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they were going to lift it should I tape plastic around the hydrolic ram to protect it while it's up I would think it should be okay unless I hit it with the nozzle

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Hitting it with the nozzle is really the only problem. They are always in a dusty environment and they can handle dust even if you didn't mask them. You have to protect them against a direct blast. Heavy duct tape is good. You can get Gorilla tape at the home stores about $9.00 a roll. It's very thick and and can take the hit if you happen to swipe over it. Just remember to take it off before they lower it so it dosn't jam up under there. It won't stick to the cylinders but you just over lap it to its self. Or you can wrap cardboard around it and tape as needed.
I would think you need to throw a tarp over the cab. You might hit it when you do the sides.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Kell you said you might see what the first one takes and maybe lower the price. How much money do you want for your labor. How much of the $350 do you figure is the glass. I would want at least $250 and that's if they really gave all five. I like to add at least $4.00 per shipped bag price to cover all the costs. That would allow me about seven bags I guess to do the whole truck. That seems like enough for just paint removal. Not if there is the black sludge I see in the rust pits sometimes, whatever it is. If they want it pure white super clean then who knows.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
16 yard dump, off truck
With setting up, clean up. (was able to leave grit on ground)
Blasted Outside of truck only, no inside.

4.0 Hrs. x $175. hour = $700.
9-(50lb) bags of Course Glass included in price.

I used 185 cfm compressor, 90 -100 psi, #6 nozzle, 1" Id Hose.

This guy would have been all week grinding and needle guning by hand, He was happy,
I have 2 more to do when winters over.

If you have a larger compressor and good size pot, time should be less.
Plus if he has alot of trucks, give him a deal.

Also did one half this size for $400. / 5 bags of medium

Attachments

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I was able to charge $300. each plus material for five tractor trailer frames. They only wanted the worst spots done and the front wheels. I think I used about 5 bags medium glass for each. They said they have a couple more later. It would be nice to get at least $300. for a whole dump body when you have to be up on a ladder too and even some masking. If I go for low labor I always just say plus material. Then I know what I'm going home with no matter what. And I never get the idea to skimp to save on glass. It's nice when you know for certain that you are blasting with their money not yours.

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
I dont like bidding on work like this, I never seem to be able to get a good number for a quote. Everything blasts at a different rate from what I can tell, I tell them its 125 per he in my facility with steel grit the bill may or may not reflect the final invoice, try to be very upfront on this, I need my hourly to keep the doors open and cant back down from it, if its 30hrs then its 30hrs no if ands or buts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts