Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am in the finishing stages of a rehab project and my GC & I are having a discussion on which is more important, a big bathroom or a bedroom. I purchased this house which is now a 3BR, but if we make the bathroom (4x7) 3 feet bigger like he wants to it will make the 3rd BR (9x9) too small to be a bedroom. Now the house will sell for $85K and it has a half BA on the lst flr. My thought was to maybe make the full Bath a foot bigger and thats it. It will make the 3rd BR really cramped, but I would rather it be tiny then non exsistent. It is just a starter home, do I really wanna go change the layout and make is a 2BR?

Any suggentions,
Stewart*Chicago

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The value of the house is based on appraisals. With identical square footage houses in the same neighborhood, a 3 bed room is worth more than a 2 bedroom. A three bedroom house is also more appealing and easier to sell or rent than a 2 bedroom house. I would not remove a bedroom.

Did you see the episode of the Apprentice where the real estate genius Raj remove a bedroom from the house they were remodelling? Don't do it or you will get fired.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Stewart,

You also have to weigh the advantage of the extra 1' - 3' in the bathroom. i.e. does the 1' more give you room to add a stand-alone shower? If it doesn't give you anything more than making it roomier than I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just out of curiosty Stewart, where is this house located?

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts