Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I taught myself a long time ago not to pay much for my work trucks. This biz distroys trucks. I pay a coup;e grand at most, ride it to the ground, when she gets there, I pull the tags and find another. .....Disposable transpo.... :cheesygri . any thoughts? :Thumbs:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
My truck is pretty much a dedicated sales vehicle... but it's body has goten scratched up pretty good just from the ladder on and off and the excessive driving. I'm taking it to get buffed real soon so the body looks sharp again.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I agree with Grumpy, image means a lot, including what you can charge and what kind of work you can get.
Last year I was informed that my 1990 vintage Ford E150's were looking dated although they were in perfect condition. I had to please the customer and bought a bunch of new bowties (best deal). Oddly, I am usually booked for new starts about 6-9 mths. I am now booked through 05, go figure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Even trucks that are just going to the job site should be clean. What do you think the neighbors are thinking when these rusted out pieces of junk are next door working. Me personaly, even if I buy an older truck we go through it completly and paint it to match my other trucks.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
When I was still ringing in on someone else's timeclock, the employer used to give a 50 dollar a month prizes for several of the best appearing trucks (later it was 100 bucks). That encouraged the guys to wash their truck, armor-all the tires, keep the trash out, wash the dash, vacuum, etc. I've got to say that they developed a culture of "keep your truck clean and neat" by giving out the 50 dollar monthly prizes. Many guys even fixed scratches and nicks on the weekend on their own time to try to get the 50 bucks. There was the occasional few who didn't really give a crap how their truck looked. Mind you, this was a company with over 100 trucks on the road, but I suspect that it would work for small operators too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ProWall

You caught me I am just pretending to be in Construction I am really a "Gangsta Rapper". I am sick of my Billionaire lifestyle and I want to work like a dog for a living. But just in case this does'nt work out make sure you buy your daughter my next CD.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I try to run them for 10 years, what I do is after 5 years they go into the back up fleet and or become a special use truck.
Newer trucks become the front line, that way the customer sees the newer trucks first, and when need be the older truck for extended repairs.
I was using Ford for 20 years, however with GMC 0% finance plan I had to jump on them.

The other thing is vans, the frigging price for them has gone into the ironsphere. I use to pay $20,000.00 for brand new, now they are talking $26-$28 for the same thing.

BJD

·
Registered
378 Posts
cost of vehicles has definitely gone thru roof. when i say cost i mean gas oil repairs insurance+the 25 30k cost to buy.our operating costs for gmc 2500hd were almost $1.00 a mile.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Grump; I am now using the Supreme bodies, the fiberglass with the doors on either side.

Funny how when I first bought them I thought that they would be hard to get used to, boy was I ever wrong.

You dont have to enter the body to get to your stuff, kinda of like and old mans truck great on the knees.

BJD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts