Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Still have all my fingers
755 Posts
My question for the CrewCab 1st Gen S10 is what is under the hood...I don't think it would be a lowly 2.8 or 2.5. I would gess a 4.3 if it was a V6, but with the exhaust, I want to say you have an 8. For no other reason then you have dual tail pipes of a decent diameter.
The crew has the original stock 4.3/700r4 and I haven't and won't mess with it. I traded a few cabinets for the dual exhaust. I have really tried to keep it in original condition due to it's rarity.

I have a couple other s-10's that I did the v8 conversion to but oddly enough they both have single exhaust (very quiet). However the fuel injected one (left) has a DMH electric cut out which dumps the exhaust right after the headers at the touch of the button.... :walkman:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Frank - All I am saying is if I hired someone who had a ladder tied down the way you did, instead of having it on a ladder rack - I would wonder if this guy is going to go the cheap route on my house since the guy cannot even spend the money for a ladder rack although he has a need for ladders.

I know I can fit all the ladders I need on my truck and there is still enough room that I can fit in as many sheets of plywood nice and neatly in the 8ft bed.

I would also like to say that I think most agreed that having a nice truck appearance seems to matter more than you think. As I mentioned, I am not going to a hire a roofer with a ladder tied down the way you do. No offense, but usually when I see guys like that driving around here I think to myself that here is another one of these guys who lost their jobs and since theyve used a hammer once before, they think they know what they are doing.

The truck is fine and I am sure your quality is superb. All I am talking about is a ladder rack.

P.S... The total cost of the trucks were probably less than some guys one single vehicle.

·
Registered
754 Posts
pretty funny. I have an older truck that is kept clean and has some issues. But it is a work truck end of discussion. If some homeowner or contractor thinks I'm less of a carpenter or a person. Oh-well.

I've found that it's easier to buy a twenty year old car or truck for 2k or less and give the occasional "payment" to my mechanic.

My truck is very small and I get alot of laughs by co-workers and other trades because of it. But when it gets loaded up it's amazing how much more lumber I can carry than some turkey with a big new truck.

The kicker is this contractor I worked for a few years ago. He was a car fanatic and cared more about how he looked than how well his houses were managed. He had a fleet of brand new trucks all matching white with his logo on them. where are all his trucks today? Gone. He was too busy worrying about his fleet of trucks and posing instead of being a good contractor.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
bam, as for the ladder rack comment there was no way to use them and put the scalfolding on, or did you miss that part of the picture? you can't use a ladder rack so you have to tie it down:rolleyes: and when I have jobs that just need ladders I strap them to the cap that goes on the truck. I am like Fast Fred I could careless what another contractor thinks as for Home Owners at least they know they aren't paying for my truck and full coverage insurance, so I can keep my costs down, :thumbsup: Oh and in this economy most people are looking to save money, not make some guys truck payments:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I buy used only. Usually pretty new and from an auction from someone else that thought looks were more important then talent. I like it this way. Keep making 'em look pretty!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Oh and in this economy most people are looking to save money, not make some guys truck payments:thumbup:

Then I guess we are in two entire different worlds because I am looking for the type of people who arent looking to save money but rather have a quality job done. You also do different work. If I have roofing written on the side of my truck and dont even have a ladder rack when I show up to do an estimate, some people may discard me right there.

Its not about saving money or being cheaper or more expensive. Its about the first impression of you being a professional.

Also, nothing is owed on any of the trucks.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I buy used only. Usually pretty new and from an auction from someone else that thought looks were more important then talent. I like it this way. Keep making 'em look pretty!:thumbsup:

yep.

auctions are great.
:thumbsup:

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
I try to keep mine looking as (fleet as possible). I want all my trucks to be similar. They dont have to be new, just clean and the same color, White! Impressions are a big deal, you can stun someone by just being professional, and organized. your truck doesn't have to be new. Think about it like this, you have 5 trucks, they all have the same lettering, and the same colors, thats the start of making your company a brand name. It makes your company recognizable. That can be done with a 1998 ford or a 2008 ford. I perfer a lower milage old truck myself.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts