Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The thing about the New Truck that gets me is one of my neighbors is a contractor he used to do windows and doors, he always got new trucks every year, well now he's a insulation contractor cause he couldn't make any money doing windows and doors, to pay for his new truck. I was talking with him awhile back, and he was telling me about his new truck, He was having problems with it.:laughing: I told him yeah those new truck can be a pain, cause you can't work on them anymore you have to take them in to get them fixed. I said to him that's to bad, my 18 year old truck gets 21.8 MPG on the highway and it gets me from point A to point B and I don't have to make truck payments or pay for Full Coverage Insurance just those two costs in this State could brake you. the guy I was talking to said it costs him almost $800.00 a month for those two costs:whistling, WTF! I can think of a lot of other things I could use that money on then a truck:laughing: I get hired for the work I do, not the truck I drive. here's my work horse 177,652-9 miles 1991

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It's all about the cover nowadays. Substance has no place in the world today. Flash some chrome and money and rake it in like Madolf (sp).
Judging a book by it;s cover is paramount. The content does not matter. Peopel that watch commercials on TV have this mindset. I wouldn't know about them because it's been about 30-40 years since I noticed a commercial.

All my vehicles are beaters. All my clients have money and can afford my services. About 80% have gone the flashy new vehicle way. That wore off in laess than a year as a rule. Thye then decided to go with content.

To be honest, if it's my vehicle a person is interested in, as opposed to my craftsmanship, I don't want them for a client anyway.
That's implied on my website too with the pic of me in work clothes by my truck.
Maybe it does hurt my image. I only get 5-8 calls a week from the site. More, and I would have to sub work out.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Frankawitz - No offense but if I saw a contractor pull up in a truck without a ladder rack and a ladder attached the way it is in that picture , first thing I would assume is you arent serious about your business ths meaning you arent serious about your work.

We have three different trucks. An 07 silverado 1500 an 03 silverado 1500 and another 03 silverado 2500.

·
2,651 Posts
Guess I'll chime in here while waiting for my bachelor-style supper (ribs :chef:) to get done festering...

There's an important factor missing in the OP's question, and I have't seen it directly addressed: What is your target market?

It's just as simple as that.

For Middle America, really new & expensive doesn't get it, nor does an old beater. You need something reasonably current, possibly with an excusable ding or two, neat, clean and organised.

For a trailer park schlub (no, Shane, not your people! :laughing:), a beater could be just the thing.

Really glitzy upscale clients are the ones who will go for the poke-your-eye-out sparkle (usually), but I honestly doubt that's the average for the folks on here.

All three categories are valid targets from which good money can be made. But you have to tailor your approach differently for each--and that includes much more than just what you drive. Many of us can deal successfully with one or two of them, but I'd say it's pretty unlikely anyone would do well with all three.

Good points!

I suspect that a lot of folks are like myself and ask around for referrals from friends/neighbors/family. When I call out a service contractor I already know I'm giving him the job based on recommendation.
I'm of the opinion you do not have to drive a NEW truck, but as long as the truck looks nice and well kept thats more important.

A friend of mine is an electrician driving a 70s some thing suburban. Its been repainted, kept clean and his appearance is neat and clean. Guess what? He has no shortage of work.

·
Still have all my fingers
755 Posts
I guess I have what you may consider a "shiny" vehicle. I have been restoring it since I bought it over ten years ago. It is a good conversation starter and I think most people look at it (car guys anyway) and think that I must care a lot about the work that I do.

At least that is what I tell my wife when I need to spend money on it :whistling

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
The thing about the New Truck that gets me is one of my neighbors is a contractor he used to do windows and doors, he always got new trucks every year, well now he's a insulation contractor cause he couldn't make any money doing windows and doors, to pay for his new truck. I was talking with him awhile back, and he was telling me about his new truck, He was having problems with it.:laughing: I told him yeah those new truck can be a pain, cause you can't work on them anymore you have to take them in to get them fixed. I said to him that's to bad, my 18 year old truck gets 21.8 MPG on the highway and it gets me from point A to point B and I don't have to make truck payments or pay for Full Coverage Insurance just those two costs in this State could brake you. the guy I was talking to said it costs him almost $800.00 a month for those two costs:whistling, WTF! I can think of a lot of other things I could use that money on then a truck:laughing: I get hired for the work I do, not the truck I drive. here's my work horse 177,652-9 miles 1991

:eek::eek::eek: Remember first impressions count. Like the above poster said that is no way to pull up to a house when priceing a job. There's no need to have the best truck on the market but at least kit it out like you know what your doing. If another guy pulled up in a truck with a nice set of ladder racks and a new paint job i would be much more likley to hire him.

In my mind i would look and think we this guy dont give a dam about his truck so what on earth is he going be like with my stuff.

·
2,651 Posts
Berg that certainly is a conversation starter. Once you build a connection with a prospective customer
its a lot easier to get work from them than if the interaction is 100% cold and professional.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I guess I have what you may consider a "shiny" vehicle. I have been restoring it since I bought it over ten years ago. It is a good conversation starter and I think most people look at it (car guys anyway) and think that I must care a lot about the work that I do.

At least that is what I tell my wife when I need to spend money on it :whistling

See thats nice. I can see straight away you are a perfectionist and that first impression counts for a lot. :thumbsup:

·
Don't Eat Yellow Snow!
401 Posts
Im in the process of re-newing my Fort Trasit Van because its not worth the repair costs( not sure what there called in the states?) there has been a scrapage allowance of £2000.00 which my 8 yr old van is entiled too but i cant get my self to buy a brand new one for the following reasons.
If i turn up for a job will the H/O or client think that there paying for my brand new shiney van!
How long will it stay clean and shiney in the roofing trade!
so for them reasons alone im looking for a 3/4 year old van that will suit my needs.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Im in the process of re-newing my Fort Trasit Van because its not worth the repair costs( not sure what there called in the states?) there has been a scrapage allowance of £2000.00 which my 8 yr old van is entiled too but i cant get my self to buy a brand new one for the following reasons.
If i turn up for a job will the H/O or client think that there paying for my brand new shiney van!
How long will it stay clean and shiney in the roofing trade!
so for them reasons alone im looking for a 3/4 year old van that will suit my needs.
Cheers
Dave

I would say go for it. We used to have a old 91 transit that got to the same point and it was not worth repair. We bought a 2007 MWB transit and our work increased due to looking a lot more professional. The 91 transit was a beater though. The best thing was the fuel savings over anything. That got double the miles our 91 did and it was so much nicer to drive and the extra power made a massive difference. I know roofers in the UK and some have Sprinters that are spotless at a few years old and some trash there vans in months. I think it depends how well you look after your equipment. You will not be disappointed. Just having AC was unreal in the summer after a hot day at work.

·
755 Posts
This is my work rig... if you look close you can see my Makita cordless kit in the back seat... and yes it has a back seat... people don't take you seriously as a contractor if you drive a 2-seater.:jester:

Cheers,

Basswood
Das Auto meets Der Carpenter......good lookin ride Bass

·
Registered
967 Posts

Wouldn't a real full size truck be easier?

·
755 Posts
Was that a home made crew cab s-10?
Berg?
No it isn't homemade, the truck is a factory prototype and was built in 1990. The trailer however is homemade, I just didn't think the truck was quite long enough on it's own :laughing:

·
Banned
204 Posts
Okay I was talking with a HO that we did work for about two years ago and she ask me "Hey what happen to your other truck" (which was 100% loss about month ago). I told her what happen and told her I was NOT buying another I took my "work" truck and put some cash in it and that was my primary now. I thought of this tread and ask her the question, and she said "No it really does'nt matter to me, I would rather see someone pull up clean cut with their sh!t together than a new truck or a shiny truck. So that's where I am staying shes a work horse, 1993 GMC 2500 service truck I just dropped a new 350 crate in new 700 tranny, fuel pump and exhaust (like's them quite) maybe a vinyl wrap mid summer. I plan on keeping her forever :)

41 - 60 of 92 Posts