Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
It's called impression. Would you show up to a customer's home wearing a sleeveless Jack Daniels t-shirt and jeans with holes in them?

That just happens to be the uniforms I give to all my employees and I put a clean freshly pressed one on every morning. Is that bad? :whistling

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I used to be the project manager (quit about 4 years ago) for a remodeling outfit. The owner said we had to have new vehicles (bought a fleet of freightliners) to show we mean business. We also had to wear our labeled polo shirts (hot in the summer!). He's no longer in business, he filed bankruptcy! I drive a 96 chevy 3/4 ton long bed extended cab w/ a commercial cap on it (white w/ grey steel wheels). It has one dent in the bottom of the extended cab part where someone hit it in a parking lot (not real big) but no rust. The paint just started blowing off the hood and I think I'll get that fixed but aside from this it runs and drives great. I've never even come close to not getting a job because of this truck. I think if you talk to the costumer your overall personal apperance means everything. It boils down to weather or not you can sell the job. I've never been intimidated by some contractor jock w/ a brand new peni$ extension- aka new huge truck. I almost got sold on a new chevy truck last summer mostly because my truck gets about 12 mpgs avg and the new ones get like 17 and our government was giving away the clunker incentive. I decided not to because I just couldnt justify paying 500/ month on a new truck when business hasnt been great and mine runs fine. I'll have the hood painted and see if I can see 300,000 miles w/ it, keep it clean and overall running good and wont loose a job because of it. I definately think looking/ smelling decent means alot however...

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think a work truck should be just that a work truck, no custom paint, no custom wheels, no fancy interiors just a no nonsense truck or van save all the other stuff for your own time.
Trucks should be newer and well kept and professional looking.
I know a granite guy who does the best work around, but has lost many jobs because he pulls up in his pimped out Hummer. (he doesn't even have a clue why)
People don't want to be paying for that crap!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I think with a nice truck you attract a better clientel, and you can weed out alot of tire kickers,and price shoppers, i tell them right off the bat im not the cheapest just the best! :whistling( its all about confidence)

those who think your expensive because of your ride probably couldnt afford you anyway, no matter what you roll up in!:shutup:

For me its worked as a plus, i get calls sitting in traffic, i get compliments when i pull up to peoples driveways and when im out and about! Its just another tool that sticks i n peoples mind! so why not use it!:thumbsup:

Reactions: NJPainter

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think with a nice truck you attract a better clientel, and you can weed out alot of tire kickers,and price shoppers, i tell them right off the bat im not the cheapest just the best! :whistling( its all about confidence)

those who think your expensive because of your ride probably couldnt afford you anyway, no matter what you roll up in!:shutup:

For me its worked as a plus, i get calls sitting in traffic, i get compliments when i pull up to peoples driveways and when im out and about! Its just another tool that sticks i n peoples mind! so why not use it!:thumbsup:
Yes a nice truck but not ostentatious.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
one kitchen designer i used to install for, used to drive up to a estimate in a ferrarri, walk in the house give the husband the keys to let him go for a drive ,while he stayed behind and sold the wife a kitchen remodel for 200k:w00t:

ohh those were the days!!

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
one kitchen designer i used to install for, used to drive up to a estimate in a ferrarri, walk in the house give the husband the keys to let him go for a drive ,while he stayed behind and sold the wife a kitchen remodel for 200k:w00t:

HAHA i sub rock for a guy with a 911 twin turbo and he takes these customers on ride all over for meetings to talk about the project. It definitely works.

I drive an 07 Single cab chevy 2500 bare bones with black steel wheels. I think it shows that my truck is a tool not a toy and I like to keep my things up to date and nice, but not purposefully made to show off, it just means business. We have lots of the 4 door shortbed 10inch lift chrome 22 inch wheel guys here, i get jobs and people have commented on the other guys vehicles being ridiculious.

Attachments

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts

Why didn't I think of that - and you could write-off the Ferrarri! :thumbsup: Now I'm going to sell the wife on that! Ha never mind. :no:

·
Registered
92 Posts
What PEOPLE are saying about your business is a hell of a lot more important than what your damn truck is saying...but in my opinion the two ought to match.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts