Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Having trouble determining the correct beam size for a pergola. It's attached to the house with two beams running out to 6x6 posts. They'll be 20 feet long with a 14-foot span. I'll throw some 1x4 rafters on top. Would I be looking at 4x8 or 4x10 for that distance? I tried using beam calculators but they all assumed a different application with some load.

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

Thank you for any help!

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
19,963 Posts
6X6 post to hold up 1X4 rafters? I have never heard of a 1X4 rafter,, can I get a pic of that.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
A pergola with 4x (four by) ceiling? 12x posts? How wealthy are you?

My Sis-in-law has a similar pergola, bought from Costco i think. It’s actually pretty sturdy, well drsigned. All pre-cut pieces that fit together well.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I don’t get pergolas.
You install it on your deck so that when it’s time to have the gutters replaced the contractor can take half of it apart without any instructions and charge you five times more.

I like to screw a big thick sheet of plywood to it with a 2 x 4 running along the back to stop the ladder from sliding.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,736 Posts
It's a pergola. Just make it look good.

diychatroom.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hello!
Having trouble determining the correct beam size for a pergola. It's attached to the house with two beams running out to 6x6 posts. They'll be 20 feet long with a 14-foot span. I'll throw some 1x4 rafters on top. Would I be looking at 4x8 or 4x10 for that distance? I tried using beam calculators but they all assumed a different application with some load.

View attachment 530878

Thank you for any help!

You need far more help than you realize...
try:
DIY Home Improvement Forum

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,589 Posts
None (most) of us here are not interested in assisting DIYers.

This is a pros only site, for professionals to discuss construction with their peers.

Diyers are not permitted to post here.

And we don’t do structural calcs over the internet anyway.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,406 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Homeowner and/or Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.