Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took on a deck job out at Georgetown lake near Anaconda, Mt. it was a insurance job. Snow slide off the metal roof and wiped out the deck. While I was rebuilding the deck a man came and wanted me to build him a deck as well and build a garage. So I made out a bid and contract for both projects. I should have saw it coming when at first there was a problem getting a deposit and a signature on the contract but he paid the deposit and would sign after looking at the bid closer. so naturally I started work got the concrete done. I approached the customer at that time and wanted the draw for framing and a signature figured since he paid the deposit on the job he then agreed to my price. He decided not to pay the next draw. I pulled off the job.next day I was at another job and this ******* came and started shoving me around yelling and screaming that I was ripping him off. I then filed assault charges my guy working for me saw it all. Two weeks later He called me up said he would sign and pay the framing draw but only part of it each day I showed up to work. I went for this because I had 3grand in materials tied up in the job already, in good faith that he would pay. day one showed up finished a log wall he paid me $1000. $500 in the morning $500 when I left. Next day $500 in the morning and when I was ready to leave He failed to show upto pay me. So when I came to sheet the roof the next day I wanted $1000 before work began He did'nt want to pay. so I pulled off the job I was done. fortunately I had plenty of work to cover the money I lost managed to get some money from him but at a great cost. Wish I could read these people better to weed out that bad ones.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
How do you think they got rich? There was a doctor here in MI that was hiring out of state contractors (unlicensed in MI of coarse) then just not paying and there wasn't anything the contractors could legaly do.

I think this guy should get thrown in a pit w/ all the guys he screwed for about 3 hours. What a POS!

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
at first there was a problem getting a deposit and a signature on the contract

so naturally I started work

fortunately I had plenty of work to cover the money I lost
Makes me damn proud to call myself a contractor:thumbsup:

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
there was a problem getting a deposit and a signature on the contract but he paid the deposit and would sign after looking at the bid closer. so naturally I started work got the concrete done.
Doesn't sound like the natural course to me. Almost every time I've proceeded without all the paperwork in place, I've gotten similar results. When will we ever learn?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Sorry that you had to experience a weirdo control freak. Alot of them out there.
Steve

Took on a deck job out at Georgetown lake near Anaconda, Mt. it was a insurance job. Snow slide off the metal roof and wiped out the deck. While I was rebuilding the deck a man came and wanted me to build him a deck as well and build a garage. So I made out a bid and contract for both projects. I should have saw it coming when at first there was a problem getting a deposit and a signature on the contract but he paid the deposit and would sign after looking at the bid closer. so naturally I started work got the concrete done. I approached the customer at that time and wanted the draw for framing and a signature figured since he paid the deposit on the job he then agreed to my price. He decided not to pay the next draw. I pulled off the job.next day I was at another job and this ******* came and started shoving me around yelling and screaming that I was ripping him off. I then filed assault charges my guy working for me saw it all. Two weeks later He called me up said he would sign and pay the framing draw but only part of it each day I showed up to work. I went for this because I had 3grand in materials tied up in the job already, in good faith that he would pay. day one showed up finished a log wall he paid me $1000. $500 in the morning $500 when I left. Next day $500 in the morning and when I was ready to leave He failed to show upto pay me. So when I came to sheet the roof the next day I wanted $1000 before work began He did'nt want to pay. so I pulled off the job I was done. fortunately I had plenty of work to cover the money I lost managed to get some money from him but at a great cost. Wish I could read these people better to weed out that bad ones.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I don't mind taking the time to read and discuss the Terms and Conditions of contracts with my clients. Without a contract you begin a project at your own risk. You ignored some large red flags and paid the price. Some people are hard to read, but refusing to sign a contract is like missing it when someone shoots you in the foot. You shot yourself in the foot on this one.

The basics of contracting are having a good contract that has been written or at least reviewed by your lawyer and getting it signed before you start the job.

There are people who take advantage of contractors. 3/4 of the time your contract will save you from these people. 1/4 of the time it doesn't matter. Some people know that the legal process can be long and expensive and will fight for years knowing there's a chance you'll give up.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Reading their signature on the contract before starting the job would be a good start.

Mac

I think the contract was signed, read it again.. having a signed contract is of coarse the only way to go, most of the time.I have had a few clients go physco over the years even with a signed contract, true you have more leverage, but it is still a major PITA, GMOD

I read it again, maybe it was not signed, G

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
It seems to me that one cannot be a contractor without a contract.

Maybe you should just call yourself a builder and leave it at that.

Reactions: skyhook

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I can't believe you went back to work for a guy who touched you. And who the hell picks a fight with a framer anyway?

Besides, sue him for the damages of the assault to recoup your money. Punitive damages, mental suffering damages, lost time at work etc... Oh and the assault charge on his record might just be a little revenge to boot.

Grown men don't hit each other with fists. They hit each other with lawyers.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Two weeks later He called me up said he would sign and pay the framing draw but only part of it each day I showed up to work. I went for this because I had 3grand in materials tied up in the job already, in good faith that he would pay.
Are you out of your mind?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,978 Posts
idiots like op and his client make me want out of this biz altogether. starting tomorrow, im gonna be a dentist
Be sure to find a Dentist's forum and ask "How much do I charge for a filling?"

Reactions: jhark123

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have an exacto knife, I think I'll be a doctor. Anyone need any work done? I can save you a lot of money if you don't mind no license or insurance :whistling!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts