Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a potential customer ask me why I wasn't on the better business bureau. I told him I've never had to be on it. All of my business is word of mouth, and since my work speaks for itself, I never had any interest in it at all. Do any of you have sleepless nights over your bbb rating??

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I just explain to anyone who asks that it's a joke, and doesn't mean anything. I've had a handful ask me about it, but never had a customer not hire me because I wasn't rated by that fraud of an outfit.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Loose no sleep, but for a start up or company that is looking for 'higher' volume it can be a good component of marketing and fairly inexpensive.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
The BBB is still a highly respected organization despite recent allegations of rate fixing. While we may find it a joke, consumer confidence is still strong.

With that said, I don't lose sleep over them. I have an A rating. If I had a lower rating I would have a response ready for customers who questioned it.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
In dont have anything to do with BBB but the few people who have asked me if I'm accredited by them have been olds. Never did get the work but it was not my normal clientele anyway so didnt even expect to. What I do find amazing is that some of the biggest hacks in this area have a A rating. Either the customers are stupid and don't know what right and wrong, they don't worry about complaining or its rigged so that money can buy you out of a bad rating.

I will keep running from word of mouth.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
If you ask most people on the street they assume that the BBB is a government entity. It must the the scary sounding name with "Bureau" attached to it.

No reason to fund another lead service unless you are...well...looking for leads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts