Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never would have guessed that heavy equipment would move over to electric before the majority of passenger vehicles.

I remember seeing somewhere that the worlds biggest excavator ran off electric, but that was actually hooked up to power lines.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
I never would have guessed that heavy equipment would move over to electric before the majority of passenger vehicles.

I remember seeing somewhere that the worlds biggest excavator ran off electric, but that was actually hooked up to power lines.
After all, first hybrids were locomotives, followed by mega dump trucks.

(diesel over electric motor)

The excavator we had here in Oxford was powered by overhead lines. It was an awesome sight to behold.

Reactions: Rio and TimNJ

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm on the road so much I need to be able to gas and go I can't be waiting around for a vehicle to charge.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The article said you could get 5-7hrs day out of the charge. Pretty amazing.
I could see where they would create a battery platform where you could change out the power pack like a battery in a saw.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The article said you could get 5-7hrs day out of the charge. Pretty amazing.

I could see where they would create a battery platform where you could change out the power pack like a battery in a saw.
I used to swap out batteries on lift trucks not a fun task.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Cool.

I'm curious how they would recharge onsite.
Here's from the mfg website. Quick chargers are lowered to the top of the bus. Can use plug in too. Local article here mentioned the roof charging --- 8 min to get what it needs. Occurs at the central terminal here as all routes pass through it.

A lot of other interesting stuff on the mfg's website also.

https://www.proterra.com/technology/chargers/

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Really cool a battery powered Caterpillar, hopefully Boeing can use the same for a 747 that way I will not need to take the train to Hawaii lets just hope we have some way to produce all the electricity we need for all this

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts