Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im wondering with all of these new batteries hitting the market with longer run times and higher output if the older products will come down in price.

My Makita 18 3.0 have been dying all at once lately. $$$ :(

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
No, cordless tools are disposable.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If I had disposable income that wouldn't be such as problem. But, I don't.
I've leaned my lesson on replacing batteries, every time I buy a new battery the other battery dies in a week, or the tool breaks. Couple batteries die I just buy a new cordless kit.

Reactions: 91782

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
It is crazy that its almost as cheap to buy a whole tool than get just battery's. Even more so when there's free batteries thrown in on kit packages.
This is how I stock up on bosch batteries. Solo they are 80 to 100 dollars each. I can get two new batteries, a recon swiss made drill and charger for 160.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I always buy the family pack with batteries.

I never buy a bare tool, always battery and charger.
the more batteries the better. imoa
Boy I definitely don't do this. With constant use, I can have my second battery charged by the time the first is depleted. One of the worst things for batteries is to sit for long periods of time. I'd rather just have a couple of batteries I cycle and buy more 'fresh' batteries as the others die.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
bcradio said:
Boy I definitely don't do this. With constant use, I can have my second battery charged by the time the first is depleted. One of the worst things for batteries is to sit for long periods of time. I'd rather just have a couple of batteries I cycle and buy more 'fresh' batteries as the others die.
I agree with the batteries sitting issue. The only tools we use are cordless 18v makita drills and impacts all day long. Keep a small battery rotation so they are constantly being used. Have only had 2 go bad in last 3 years. Impacts are only 40$ naked

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
That rule isn't exactly quite true in the world of Lithiums. You can have them sit for longer than nicads , but they wont take abuse like a nicad- but nicads don't like minor use- they like to be beaten.

Thats the one thing about Ridgid's and their lifetime battery, but it only applies if you arent using it for professional work. their batteries are kinda pricey as individual batteries. DEwalt is offering 3 years on their batts.

I'll drain through 3-4 bosch 12v's in a day, especially using the oscillating tool. They all get cycled constantly. The 20v dewalts, I just don't use as often, but now I have 4 for the set. It is a very long day working if I use them all up.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
madmax718 said:
That rule isn't exactly quite true in the world of Lithiums. You can have them sit for longer than nicads , but they wont take abuse like a nicad- but nicads don't like minor use- they like to be beaten. Thats the one thing about Ridgid's and their lifetime battery, but it only applies if you arent using it for professional work. their batteries are kinda pricey as individual batteries. DEwalt is offering 3 years on their batts. I'll drain through 3-4 bosch 12v's in a day, especially using the oscillating tool. They all get cycled constantly. The 20v dewalts, I just don't use as often, but now I have 4 for the set. It is a very long day working if I use them all up.
Its complete opposite to what your saying. Leaving a Li-ion pack sitting is real bad for it. They like being used hard and often. If they are left to sit they can drop below cut off voltage and the pack will not charge. A nicad could be dead flat and it can be charged still. Li-ion can also put out a lot of Amps for their size so they don't run as hot as nicads when used under the same loads.

never leave an uncharged Li-ion pack to sit for more than a couple of weeks.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Way back in 03 I bought a 24v DeWalt 006 hammer drill, 2 batteries. We used it off an on until 07 and haven't used it since.

Pulled it out a couple weeks ago, charged the batteries and tried it out...it's still working! Li-ion batteries that are now 11 years old

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Chris Johnson said:
Way back in 03 I bought a 24v DeWalt 006 hammer drill, 2 batteries. We used it off an on until 07 and haven't used it since. Pulled it out a couple weeks ago, charged the batteries and tried it out...it's still working! Li-ion batteries that are now 11 years old
You sure they are Li-ion In 03? I had one of the first Li-ions on the market. The old school v Tech Milwaukee and the Makita LXT. They were both in 05/06 when they were released. Dewalt didn't use Li-ion until A123 made their cells in about 2007/2008. I bought a 24v dewalt recip saw about 3 years ago on clearance and that still had ni-cd battery on it.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Chris Johnson said:
Your right, my bad, Ni-CD I just can't believe they still hold a charge and work
That's the great thing about ni-cd. They can be thrown in a bag or box for 10years and still charge. They should come right back to life after a few full charges and discharges. The key with Ni-cd is always fully discharge it before charging. Never do this with Li-ion though.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Before I became a Hilti fanboy I tried Milwaukee and Makita, they all worked great when new but died a quick death usually within 6-9 months, always the batteries.

I look back to my original Makita 7.2 and that thing was a work horse and the battery lasted. Just not enough torque.

HILTI has become my goto for years now, service is great, helps to that my office to Hilti store is 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Chris Johnson said:
Before I became a Hilti fanboy I tried Milwaukee and Makita, they all worked great when new but died a quick death usually within 6-9 months, always the batteries. I look back to my original Makita 7.2 and that thing was a work horse and the battery lasted. Just not enough torque. HILTI has become my goto for years now, service is great, helps to that my office to Hilti store is 1/4 mile.
The the design on the Makita packs was a really bad idea. It drains power even when not plugged into anything. Not an issue if you use them often but if you have 6-7 batteries it can be hard to keep up with them.
Its a shame as they have really high end cells in the Makita packs. just poorly thought out on makitas part.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
actually, the Lithiums are not supposed to be stored fully charged- they like a partial charge. Yes, you are correct in that you are not supposed to let them sit dead either. They are definitely much more particular about environment and abuse. Using it hard and often reduces its life cycle- look at your cell phones. In the beginning 2 days seemed easy. As the battery pack has been cycled 300+ times, the capacity reduces. Just like your notebook computer, and anything else that uses LI technology.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts