Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asked a TX GC down NW of San Antonio to build per a detail on my stock planset, which shows a battered pier for a portico structure, done with plywood and 2" veneer. Hollow. Cheap. Won't last. I know it won't, cause that is how they did some at the entry to the local CVS Pharmacy, and they are falling apart.

Anyhow, I asked it be done using the local limestone in an ashlar lay, Leuders brownish-gold, and am wondering something.

Straight up is easy. How much tougher is doing it battered, as drawn? Not stepped. Battered.

As you can see in the pics, the plans-sellers detail and my hallucination in Sketchup, which was done to work out the scale for a lower set of piers, there is a 6x6 pressure-treated post in the core.

And with the face of the pier out there, not a tight lay-up to the post, is any core material getting used? Or is the mason just gonna fill inside with rubble.

I show a pic clipped from the GC's website, showing piers, a full and a half, but with the easy plumb sides. Battering takes a little more effort, but how much?

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Aside from being crap construction, it will leave the corners as a single joint which will leak with the first rainstorm, as well as look like hammered dog****. Just build the freaking bases out of stone and be done with it.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Just build the freaking bases out of stone and be done with it.
That's what he wants.

It all depends on how straight you want the corners and how tall. 2 or 3' no big deal, 8-10', that gets fussier. Straight as string, no daylight beyween a straight edge and the corner? or rock faced straight, in and out 1/8"? Also if you truly mean ashlar (tight grained stone either margined with a texture or perfectly flat with 1/4" joints) or what some quarries seem to call ashlar (just square stone) which is nothing at all what ashlar is. It's a pretty broad question. I would bid ashlar with zero tolerance @ maybe 5x per foot what I would regular rock faced stone. And if the piers were more than 3' high I'd probably bid 1.5-2x what I would if they were shorter

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
Depends on if they taper the corners and faces to the angle or just lean them and angle cut the one next to the corner like I have seen here.

The way we would do it here is out an adjustable shoring post for support and fill with brick, plumb it would probably be hollow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts