Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pipe that is connected to the bath faucet rusted through where it connects to the faucet. I was told to get an 'inside -out' tool unscrew the rusted pipe from the pipe it is connected to, then replace with a brass nipple and new faucet.

Another plumber told be that he would have to knock some tile out because the rusted pipe is soldered to the other pipe and would need sawed off and a new one soldered.

Any advise?????

Kathy h

·
Registered
295 Posts
kathyh said:
The pipe that is connected to the bath faucet rusted through where it connects to the faucet. I was told to get an 'inside -out' tool unscrew the rusted pipe from the pipe it is connected to, then replace with a brass nipple and new faucet.

Another plumber told be that he would have to knock some tile out because the rusted pipe is soldered to the other pipe and would need sawed off and a new one soldered.

Any advise?????

Kathy h

Hi, I'm a little confused by the wording but I will give it a try! I'll assume there is no access from the back and the front is a tiled wall. There is a hole in the tile where this rotted nipple used to be and the threads are still in the fitting inside the wall. They do sell internal pipe wrenches or you could try a mini hacksaw(jab saw type) or just a hacksaw blade (hold with a rag)and try to cut thru what's left of the nipple. If you try the hacksaw blade very careful not to cut into threads of the female fitting. You could also use some liquid wrench (or WD-40)while cutting it works great on rust and use a small regular screwdriver and try to loosen up the rest of the rusted nipple or if you cut thru it you should be able to pry it out . Replace with a new brass nipple and spout. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help you out. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts