Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about refinishing the bathtubs in my house. But now I see on tv here in the chicagoland area a company is advertising custom made bathtub liners. What do you think is the best way to go. I don't want to replace both bathtubs because it would mean busting them down with a sledge hammer and then trying to get new bathtub in. House was built in 63 there the old cast iron or what ever they used back in those days for bathtubs. Thanks. :Thumbs:

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I would say the best choice would be to replace with a new tub but the linners are actually very good. Well some are and some are not. We used Bathfitters in our home as we have only one full bath and didn't want to be without a shower. It was done in a morning and we used it the next day. This was over a year ago and it still looks like new. If you don't mind plastics it is a good quick way to get a new topper. Seeing you mentioned tubs as in plural, you might rather consider a replacement. I would have had we had the second shower.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
OH YEAH BABY! This is one I love to get going on, those f-in laid off middle managers that buy a bathtub liner franchise! Doing a job right now where the poor guy paid $4000 for 1 tub and one shower to be covered over. When I told him he could have had brand new ones, new faucets of his choice and custom tile surrounds and still had money left over to pay for a good chunk of the work I was doing his jaw just about hit the floor.

Here is the best part. The guy started the work himself and got over his head, but in the process he exposed all the sub-floor including the totally rotted out portions next to the shower, where the shower pan is just floating and being held in place by the nails into the studs. I asked him why in the world that these bath fitters would put in thier pretty surround without first dealing with the shower pan floating above the rotten floor? I said "I guess you didn't have the floor exposed when they looked at it originally?" of course his reply was, "No, it looked just like it does now."

This time my jaw dropped to the floor. He said they never mentioned a word about it being a problem and I was the first guy who had looked at it that had mentioned it.

I told him, the guy he wrote a check for $4000 probably a year ago before he bought his franchise he was probably working at IBM before he got laid off and didn't even know what a sub-floor was and obviously at this point he doesn't care to know.

Disgusting but true story.

Obviously my advice would be to not be dealing with any bath fitter outfits and do it the old fashioned way instead of the quick but expensive alternatives.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
There are also people who restore tub finishes and can change the color as well. Might be worth looking into.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow I didn't no the tub liners were that expensive. My plumber who I have known for years gave me the name of a guy who will come in and just spray and new finish on both tubs. He said the guy gives a five year warranty and he said your probably who only being looking at a couple hundred dollars per tub. He said they look pretty good when he is done. But of coarse the new finish will start to show wear after 5 years. I just assumed the bathtub liners were around the same price guess I was wrong. Who would want to spend that much money when it would be cheaper just to get new tub?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've seen a few jobs where folks had a guy come in and spray the wall tiles to a different color (the ole robin egg blue just is'nt the shizzle anymore I guess:) ) and hit the tub/surround while they were at it. Very expensive for that much work, looked okay and they were told by companyu it's not a long term solution.

I bid a bathroom I had figured full gut since old was in bad shape. Homie did'nt want that and wanted tile surround. Welll, after pulling paneling off walls and exposing how bad things were it backed up my point of full gut. He still did'nt want a new tub installed, wanted to keep existing and have it sprayed to save money. Guy cahrged him more to spray than I could've gotten him into a really nice tub for, best part is the house stunk horribly and the dumb azz painter/sprayer tried to reinstall the drain assembly before tub was dry since he was from waay out of town and all the dirt and crude fell into the nice tackey paint and stuck:)

If your going to be selling this house within 3 years, I'd jump all over the new paint job, if you plan on being there awhile-DO IT RIGHT and be done with it ONE TIME!!!! Only person that can afford to be cheap is a rich person since they can afford to do it twice-something to think about. Have'nt dealt with the liners yet, nor do I plan to. They might be great, but guess I'd rather sell long term than a band aid.

On average depending on the situation (I just finihsed a bath remodel yesterday) we had bathroom gutted, new tub/surround installed and working for homie in 1 day. Crude in form initially, but served the purpose since he was in bad pyshical form to get a hotel and did'nt have family close to borrow a shower from.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Guys I would have to agree, the "tub Fitters" around here charge more than what I get for a Sterling 4 piece replacement.
And to make matters worse they leave the old 3 valve diverter and junk trip waste in.
Looks like SH--t and twice the materail seperated from the cast iron tub, gave the inpression of steping on egg shells.
Nice

Bjd

you want junk, sure go with the fitter.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks For Everyone Input. Those Tubliners Now Sound Like A Big Scam To Me. Going To Go To Menards And Lowes See How Much New Bathtubs Go For....once Again Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why replace?

Using a liner is just asking for problems down the road. Eventually the water will get behind the liner and it will fail. There is no question that is will fail is it just when.. I would strongly look into bathtub refinishing. You can make your old tub look brand new for less than half the cost of a liner or replacing. And you can also match any fixture to existing fixtures. The average cost for doing just a bathtub is 300 - 600 depending on the company. Hope this helps..

Cody Rhodes
Minneapolisbathtubrefinishing.com
Urban Bath Co.
612-751-2729

·
Registered
62 Posts
Last "bath fitters" job I had the pleasure of tearing out was a disaster. Homeowner said his bathroom stunk. I stepped in the tub to take a look and it felt like I was standing on sponges. The liner had failed and there was a beautiful fragrant smell of dirty water, old soap, probably urine and who knows what else eminating from between the "new" liner and the bottom of the original cast tub. I let the guy on the low rung of the ladder tear that one out. Have not seen a decent job by any "bath fitters" company. Remember, you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts