Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im remodeling a bathroom and dont have much room. The people want a custom standup shower. does anyone know the minimum inside dimensions required by code in nj. Thanks I have room to make it 28x48 is that big enough?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
900 square inches, with a 30" disk fitting on the shower floor, so 28" is too small. But who knows what code books your building dept has locally adopted. Just give them a call in the morning and they will tell you what you need to know.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
The absolute smallest shower I have ever installed was 30" square. You don't have much room to work with apparently. I dont know NJ codes, but that seems pretty cramped.

You can't move partitions at all?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am really cramped gonna call building dept today to see what min. needs to be.28" is my inside from tile to glass door. If its too small i might have to rearrange the whole bathroom and put toilet and sink on opposite side and put shower back in the corner.this will cost a lot for the customer. It will require closing in a window on the 4th floor and opening up floor and walls and rearranging all the plumbing.They might pass out when i give them the price for that as they are penny pinchers already.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Here I have done several baths where clearances for toilet and showers have been smaller than new code and the only way to correct it would be take over some part of a bedroom or hallway, building dept has never require I move walls to accomodate new codes unless I reframe the entire room.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Here I have done several baths where clearances for toilet and showers have been smaller than new code and the only way to correct it would be take over some part of a bedroom or hallway, building dept has never require I move walls to accomodate new codes unless I reframe the entire room.
I have always had to comply with the new codes on remodels, unless I got a waiver or a hardship and those are next to impossible to get, so they aren't worth messing with.

I had a commercial job where we were doing a renovation, and we had to move a bunch of existing walls that we did not plan on moving, to comply with ADA, some of them had to be moved 4", I asked the plans examiner why I had to yet when they just did a remodel in their office that they didn't comply, he said they were exempt, because they are a government agency.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Yeah I hear ya, I work alot on 1920's homes where nothing is up to code. Basements here have 6'8 ceilings, they allow it etc... I only do residential and have yet to be made to move a toilet 1 inch to the right for 15 right and left, glad I live here cant imagine adding 2-3k on every job to move toilets sinks showers a coupl of inches.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Yeah I hear ya, I work alot on 1920's homes where nothing is up to code. Basements here have 6'8 ceilings, they allow it etc... I only do residential and have yet to be made to move a toilet 1 inch to the right for 15 right and left, glad I live here cant imagine adding 2-3k on every job to move toilets sinks showers a coupl of inches.
Offset flanges can help you in cases where you need to slide a toilet over an inch or two, also you can use 9 or 10 inch rough in toilets instead of a 12" rough in to get more clearance in front of the toilet, some solutions are not that tough if you know what is available to deal with it.

I am in Florida so we don't have basements to deal with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got the toilet as close to the wall. Now trying to find a sink thats about 12 in or less length and anywhere from 12-18"wide. This is a rental property so the owner wants me to keep it as cheap as possible.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Get the inspector in there! Old small baths WILL get grand-fathered.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
inspector said it would be ok if i put a 16" sink in there but the guy who rents the place is a big guy so i was gonna try to make it a little more convenient if possible.

·
Registered
416 Posts
13 x 16

You probably can get a 13 x 16 wall hung Mansfield according to the plumbing supply house I use. Smallest pedestal 19 x 16 American Standard.

Retro fitting to code varies all over. Around here only have to get permits and inspections if you have a new electrical servce or if the footprint of the house is being changed. Anything inside is whatever the homeowner wants to do. Makes it easier on us not having to deal with inspectors, but probably would be better if people had to bring things up to code. You would hear the screaming all over the country!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice thats the perfect sink for this bathroom.Thanks Ive been googling for like 3 days and the only one i can find that was small was at decorplanet.com and it was like 500.00

1 - 18 of 18 Posts