Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be doing a bathroom remodel this summer, my own house. Wife says she wants more then just a shower anymore. :blink:

Both her and the daughter have some disablities, so am thinking of. putting in a jet tub or a walk in in style. Also would like to put in a power flush toilet, tired of the one have always clogging. Thinking of an American Standard or a Kohler . Thoughts on which one would be the better one to go with? Maybe also a on demand waterheater . Thoughts or sugestion would be welcomed . Thanks.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,102 Posts
Here's a place to check for toilets:

www.map-testing.com

Look for models with MaP flush scores above 800 if you want pretty reliable clearing. Kohler Cimmarron meets that, and that's the low end of performance I think you should consider.

I've used a lot of Kohler, and they're very good. American Standard has some models that appear to be good, but I haven't tried them. If you don't anticipate needing an elongated bowl, round bowls generally have less odor. The 3" flapper on gravity fed toilets has made a big difference in performance - you can get 800 scores and higher with these toilets.

What the search I linked to won't tell you is how effective the bowl rinse is, how easy it is to clean, and how noisy the flush is. Power flushes started out noisy, but I've heard there have been some big noise improvements over the last decade. I'd check Amazon or a place like that, once I get the models narrowed down.

Personally, if you can get parts for them locally and you don't mind the money, Toto Drakes are pretty good.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've also had positive results with the kohler cimmarron...It uh...moves the product;)

Walk-in and a lot of the jetted tubs will require a lot of hot water. A tankless would have to be gas, and pretty good sized.

With the walk-in, I've always wondered how they are to use... You have to get in when it's empty, fill it, bathe, then stay in till it has drained... I know some have pumps to empty faster.

Just some thoughts to get you started.. Good Luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
walk in tubs are extremely expensive...i think the kohler one is around $9k

ive installed the A/S one a few times...the finish is very delicate...cost=$6k....ive scratched the tubs with pencil lead....i ran a straight line across where the faucet was going to markup where to drill my holes.....the line wouldnt disappear...it was scratched into the finish....i wouldnt put the AS one in my home.....its my only option, so i DO still install them for customers...75% of them get damaged either by me or by drywallers/carpenters...i now include $250 in my bids for repairs on them...they are that fragile

as far as toilets go i use Kohler Cimerrons all the time...get the 1.6gpf one....or a Toto Drake.....i wouldnt get the power flush...no one does that on residential

id recommend a nice shower w/ a seat instead of that walk in tub.....

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
walk in tubs are extremely expensive...i think the kohler one is around $9k

ive installed the A/S one a few times...the finish is very delicate...cost=$6k....ive scratched the tubs with pencil lead....i ran a straight line across where the faucet was going to markup where to drill my holes.....the line wouldnt disappear...it was scratched into the finish....i wouldnt put the AS one in my home.....its my only option, so i DO still install them for customers...75% of them get damaged either by me or by drywallers/carpenters...i now include $250 in my bids for repairs on them...they are that fragile

as far as toilets go i use Kohler Cimerrons all the time...get the 1.6gpf one....or a Toto Drake.....i wouldnt get the power flush...no one does that on residential

id recommend a nice shower w/ a seat instead of that walk in tub.....
Well have pretty much desided against a walkin for number of reasons, going to go with a jetted tube instead with some kind of a heater. With also a nice shower for me. Think I was not thinking of the right style of toilet when said power flush, I did look some at those Cimerrons which is really more along the lines of what I want.

Leaning towards a normal gas water heater , like 50 gal. maybe power vent though to get of vents on the roof.

Having to add on to the house with a room size of something like a 8x10 or a 10x10 , the one we have now there is only room for sink shower and toilet. Soon as the weather settles down going to get started digging . On top of this things are shaping up to be a busy summer , so it should be interesting.

·
Registered
819 Posts
no one goes with those walk in tubs.....as soon as they hear $6-9k it ends the conversation

you can do a nice WP tub and a awesome tile shower for the same or less.....im sure thats why you decided on it

i have 3 Toto toilets in my house...the Soiree', Drake and Caruso.....the Soiree' is around $800-1000, but rarely plugs...the Drake is also very close to unplugable for $350-400 range

my only worry is toto is now 100$ 1.28 gpf.....i dont trust their new Drake yet...i havent installed many

a Kohler Cimerron 1.6gpf can still be had and its around $250 for a round front

i sell tons of Cimerrons

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
As a general note to people looking at super-flushing toilets, no matter the technology: you need to be careful about back-to-back installations. Some of them can propel stuff out of the toilet on the other side.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
As a general note to people looking at super-flushing toilets, no matter the technology: you need to be careful about back-to-back installations. Some of them can propel stuff out of the toilet on the other side.
Now that would be a interesting surprise. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
We have been doing several walk-in showers with no doors. So far, everyone has loved them. I think the smallest so far was 4' wide x 8' deep.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Gerber Ultraflush with the Sloan Flushmate for $300 or less. No more plungers ever. I tried the Eljer with the flushmate once when I lost my local source for the Gerber temporarily and it was replaced shortly after due to trap design differences, the Gerber ultraflush all the way.
Very standard looking toilet and my only complaint is they offer standard height round and elongated, but only elongated in raised height/not round.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a AS 1.6gpf in one bath just replaced my other water closet with a Mansfield which is a 1.28gpf (1.28gpf new standards) Mansfield piece of crap

1 - 15 of 15 Posts