Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding a bathroom in my basement adjacent to my laundry room. Due to space constrictions and extisting venting the exterior wall is where I think I should install the plumbing (drian, vent, H&C water). I plan on framing the wall with 2x6 and insulating.

Question 1: Should I be concerned with any problems that might arrise from plumbing on this wall? like freezing or somehting else?

Question 2: The existing vent I will be tieing into is 2" and goes up to kitchen above where where it acts as a drain and vent to the Kitchen sink and dishwasher. It then contiues to roof. My basement bath wil have sink, toilet, shower, and clothes washer. Is the 2" vent adequeate?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Thanks. That was real helpful!

ryaniniowa said:
I think the biggest concern on this post is a need for spell check! ;)
Your right. I should be more careful with my submissions. I mean someone may think I'm a Master Electrician slash Journeyman Plumber slash Spelling Bee wizard. :Thumbs: No really do you have anything constructive to offer up relative to my questions or are you just one of those people that plays around on these type of forums?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
mcamp60 said:
Question 1: Should I be concerned with any problems that might arrise from plumbing on this wall? like freezing or somehting else?
Thanks
I'm no plumber, but you could create a freeze issue because that space along the wall will now be enclosed and not have the entire rooms air to warm it. I would stuff the cracks that would allow any infiltration of cold air and insulate the wall.

As for #2 I have to look that stuff up because I don't do it all the time, or call the building dept for their requirements. You should probably do the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mcamp60 said:
I am adding a bathroom in my basement adjacent to my laundry room. Due to space constrictions and extisting venting the exterior wall is where I think I should install the plumbing (drian, vent, H&C water). I plan on framing the wall with 2x6 and insulating.

Question 2: The existing vent I will be tieing into is 2" and goes up to kitchen above where where it acts as a drain and vent to the Kitchen sink and dishwasher. It then contiues to roof. My basement bath wil have sink, toilet, shower, and clothes washer. Is the 2" vent adequeate?

Thanks

I think it depends on where you live. If you live where I do and the chicks are as hot as the weather, then I would say no you don't have to worry. If you live in the Arctic Circle, then I would suggest you insulate the crap out of any airspace and caulk anywhere air can get through to the pipes. Jeez, I thought this was Contractor Talk, what is this your first day on the job? I swear some of the questions around here are ridiculous. I can't believe I'm sitting here when I could be out sniffing around for poon. I'm outta here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ryaniniowa said:
I don't think 'poon' is even a word, but if it was it looks like it's spelled right to me. I'll drink to that. :Thumbs:
Trust me there jock itch, it's a word.. Here's your trophy for the spelling bee...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK maybe I misjudged you guys.

I take back everything I was thinking about you guys after my initial run in with the Master spelling wizard electrician guy. Your comments and suggestions have been pretty insightful, helpful, and very funny.

I will make sure I seal everything and place the insulation behind the piping. I was thinking I would also dump some air from my duct system into the wall space.

Thanks,

Dan Quayle's mentor :eek:
"If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure. "
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, to the Phoenix Republican Forum, 3/23/90

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I would suggest that you stay with the pros and not the new 'joy boy' weekend warriors and jack of all trade types.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
ryan, where I am, contractors don't need or want weekend work. I'm a remodeler and could easily work 3 shifts, 7 days a week and more if God could adjust the clock a little bit. I also own one of the best custom exotic hardwood cabinet shops in SE FL (they often work a lot of overtime), a marine repair business, a yacht stabilizer business and am preparing to open a window treatment storefront.
Here we work by a "good neighbor" code in which we self limit ourselves to 7-7 and nothing on Sundays. I'm just a little guy with 8 trucks on the road and 26 employees in this business. Sorry about where you live.
As a spelling bee expert (ex=has been, spurt=a drip under pressure) you may want to revisit 'colleage'.
Being offended too easily may send you back to the 'aching thumbs' site from which you came. Want to run with the big dogs? Act like one or p*ss on the porch with the puppies.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Please elaborate O' killer of rats.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm up to date on what is going on in the construction industry, there are not enough qualified people and it is not a glamorous field to enter into. Most young people today see Bill Gates as an example, sit in an A/C office all day, tap on keys and make megabucks. A run on sentence if you're a stickler on the language as well as spelling.
'Weekenders' lead me to believe that there is something wrong with your business. I often work 7 days a week but don't consider it a 'weekend' job. It is just the way things work out. Sometimes I get a day off in the middle of the week, most of the time it's just a few hours here or there and I'm thankful for that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jeez, do I need to put on a pair of Depends undergarments for this pissing match, or would it just be easier for ol' Uncle Ted to open up a can of whoopass on some people around here.

This just in - CNN has issued a Panty-in-a-bunch alert for Johnny Depp's biggest fan Teetorbilt. Jeez, instead of hijacking mcamp's thread why don't you take it to the private message arena? For a Moderator you sure aren't showing very much class here I have to admit. At least ryaniniowa had some input for the guy, you just seem to follow his threads and act like an ass. What exactly are you trying to cover up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
answers

youll be fine on a 2x6 insulated wall, just keep the water lines close to front of 2x6 studs then put nailguards in to protect from drywall screws

the 2'' vent is plenty, no problem..:thumbup:

quote=mcamp60;16758]I am adding a bathroom in my basement adjacent to my laundry room. Due to space constrictions and extisting venting the exterior wall is where I think I should install the plumbing (drian, vent, H&C water). I plan on framing the wall with 2x6 and insulating.

Thanks[/quote]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts