Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a typical 15 year old master bathroom that has a shower and jacuzzi. Homeowners no longer want the jacuzzi.

I'm struggling with what to do with the layout when I remove the jacuzzi. There are two windows on the walls around the jacuzzi so I can't move the shower over there. Shower is getting replaced.

Everything is getting redone but I'd prefer not move plumbing if I can find a layout solution to make the space where the jacuzzi was look correct.

Any help is appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've got a typical 15 year old master bathroom that has a shower and jacuzzi. Homeowners no longer want the jacuzzi.

I'm struggling with what to do with the layout when I remove the jacuzzi. There are two windows on the walls around the jacuzzi so I can't move the shower over there. Shower is getting replaced.

Everything is getting redone but I'd prefer not move plumbing if I can find a layout solution to make the space where the jacuzzi was look correct.

Any help is appreciated...
  1. Storage cabinet with a nice top. Towels inside, statue or other art on top.
  2. Bench seat, with storage beneath
  3. Mini laundry
  4. Extreme towel-warming station
  5. Shooting station with spotting scope for target practice and to shoot deer in the back yard. Convenient clothesline for running targets out to back fence for pistol practice.
  6. BBQ
  7. Nice Jacuzzi tub

Storage is probably your best bet.

Edit: Comfortable reading chair. I never really got it, but some people like to use their bathroom as a comfy little retreat.

Edit again: Not moving the plumbing obviously restricts your choices. You could run the vanity top a little farther into the corner, put a chair there, and have a make-up station, but the light from the window behind isn't great for that use.

·
General Contractor
8,081 Posts
I thought of that, but being there was a Jacuzzi, possibly sitting on a platform which is approximately 21-22" high + a row of tile surround at min 6" high he might get lucky and clear the window... maybe use Toto low boy toilet which is about 28" tall. In worst case scenario keep the blinds down when on it, but IMO it makes a nice layout without having fixtures all over the place.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Need to know height of windows from floor. Why don't you want to move plumbing? With a little plumbing I would move the vanity over centered between the window and wall. Or get a vanity with a tall storage cabinet one or both sides. He can't move the toilet over there without replacing the drain pipes.

Depending on the window height I would leave it open or put a triangle bench there.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Toilet where Greg suggests.....shower where vanity is now......big as you can make it ...
Vanity...or his and hers vanities where the shower and toilet are now. Venting might be an issue......can you get in above it?

_________
Mike

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Toilet where Greg suggests.....shower where vanity is now......big as you can make it ...
Vanity...or his and hers vanities where the shower and toilet are now. Venting might be an issue......can you get in above it?

_________
Mike
He doesn't want to move any plumbing.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I thought he said "I'd prefer not to move any plumbing"

Sitting on the toilet.....lookin out the window....hell I'd re-plumb my whole house if I could do that every morning! :laughing:

Wave at the neighbors!

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could move plumbing if need be. It will depend on what the HO wants.

They are doing a $75-100k addition so I'm trying to help them out by keeping the cost down on this bathroom. That being said if the layout they want involves moving plumbing I'll encourage them to do that. It is the master bathroom.

·
Registered
Custom
13,687 Posts
Spencer, I would encourage you to use the windows to the maximum since they are not being moved... Your eyes go to the farther distance when you enter a room and that is how you absorb space and colors... in this case, the layout draws your eyes to the windows so you want to maximize their effect... The below drawing gives them a two-person shower and vanity layout (with both being able to have mirrors) but at the same time with the linen closet to the right and half-wall to the left with glass above it, it gives the same water closet feel to the toilet without feeling cramped because of the glass and adding the utility of a linen pantry...

A nice little feature of the false front (often underutilized space) is that it is an ideal spot for custom toothbrush, razor and accessory holder instead of messing up the counterspace... I would also encourage working in an automated soap dispenser (based on motion - $20)...

Personally, in addition to the regular shower faucet, I would add a waterfall head above the center...

Best of luck in whatever you choose... 8^)

Attachments

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spencer, I would encourage you to use the windows to the maximum since they are not being moved... Your eyes go to the farther distance when you enter a room and that is how you absorb space and colors... in this case, the layout draws your eyes to the windows so you want to maximize their effect... The below drawing gives them a two-person shower and vanity layout (with both being able to have mirrors) but at the same time with the linen closet to the right and half-wall to the left with glass above it, it gives the same water closet feel to the toilet without feeling cramped because of the glass and adding the utility of a linen pantry...

Personally, in addition to the regular shower faucet, I would add a waterfall head above the center...

Best of luck in whatever you choose... 8^)
That is very nice. You have a gift in design. Unfortunately that isn't in the budget as much as I'd love to do it. I'm tucking that design away in my mind for next time.

·
Registered
Custom
13,687 Posts
That is very nice. You have a gift in design. Unfortunately that isn't in the budget as much as I'd love to do it. I'm tucking that design away in my mind for next time.
They are spending $75-$100K on an addition... you'd be surprised at how they seem to find the money when they are given options... sell the dream... when it comes to these types of project, you are talking next level... you don't want them looking back with regret... :thumbsup:

Besides, you are also looking to make a reputation... presenting the design and them not choosing it, doesn't mean they won't talk about it...

I don't think the plumbing will be as expensive as you think it will... remember, you are re-doing everything... look at their locations....

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KAP said:
They are spending $75-$100K on an addition... you'd be surprised at how they seem to find the money when they are given options... sell the dream... when it comes to these types of project, you are talking next level... you don't want them looking back with regret... :thumbsup:

Besides, you are also looking to make a reputation... presenting the design and them not choosing it, doesn't mean they won't talk about it...

I don't think the plumbing will be as expensive as you think it will... remember, you are re-doing everything... look at their locations....
The walk in shower is what kills it. That would add an easy 8k to the cost.

I agree. Moving plumbing wouldn't be that bad and showing someone you can think up some cool stuff will sell.

Honestly, I've got enough going in this job. 1200 sq ft worth of tile to lay. Couple hundred of hardwood. All the trim. And this bathroom to redo. That in itself is a few weeks smack in the middle of the busiest time of the year. I'm good with what were doing now but I do appreciate that you took the time to do the design. I learn a lot on threads like this.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts