Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nwingate said:
The best and most expensive rooms to remodel!!!

Are you going to completely gut the rooms or just give them a face lift?

-Nathan
I plan to keep the toilet but change the seat and tank. I also plan to keep the tub. I will preserve the walls as much as possible but everything else goes. New vanity, counters, counter tops, faucets, floor tile, light fixtures, medecine cabinets, and if my budget allows I will buy new appliances.

I wouldnt say it's a full remodel because I am keeping a few things, but it's definetly more than a face lift. But hell it's a condo and I will be renting this place out to someone within a few years as I live in my marbel walled mansion on my private island. <dreams>

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Granite is a nice touch for counters, although I dont know if you want to go there for price. Corian has always been real popular, but price again. Are you thinking about going with a ceramic tile on the floor?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Florcraft said:
Granite is a nice touch for counters, although I dont know if you want to go there for price. Corian has always been real popular, but price again. Are you thinking about going with a ceramic tile on the floor?
I thought about granite, but it's a condo. Why bother with the expense? I went to a bar the other week that had a custom counter top. It was marbel tile adhesived to some kind of 2" wood counter underneath. I was thinking of giving that a shot because it looks great if done right and it about half the cost of a granite top of equal size.

A few buds of mine suggested Corian also. Bathroom will be ceramic but kitchen will be some kind of premium vinyl or I was thinking about maybe pergo for the kitchen since the rest of my condo is all hard wood oak.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Laminate flooring is a good choice. THere is a granite called Bennissimo that has a rounded bullnose edge, that costs less than corian. Although I like corian quite a bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
remodeling the bathroom,sure sounds fun. i would definily replace the bathtub.. we have a pretty large one an a small one but no matter what size they are they are not as comfy as a german bathtub. you just cant lay down...
are you going to put tiles all over the walls ?flor; carpet or tiles? i would go for tiles on everything, especialy if you will someday rent it out a tile is easier replaced than carpet, plus kids love splashing... i am no `pro` in this, just my oppinion...
stainless steel for the kitchen? no fun to clean but looks nice

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For monetary reasons I am keeping the bathtub and toilet. Everything else is being replaced. I sit down in my tub just about every day, can't lay but I can sit :)

Not sure where I am putting tile yet. I think JUST in the shower area which will have a nice classy sliding shower door installed to seperate the regular space from the tub space.

No way in HE!! I am going to put carpet in the bathroom or kitchen. In my opinion that looks t a c k y. I am definetly going to tear out the old floor tile and put a new floor tile.

I'm thinking of brushed nickel hardware for the bathroom, not sure on the kitchen stuff yet. I havent given that too much thought since that is PHASE II.

Thank you for your opinions. I am glad this got bumped back to the top since I plan on starting in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL didn't start yet. I can't bring myself to do it. I keep thinking "I'm going to be without a toilet and shower for about a week." not to mention the new semester began so I've less free time. :( I shouldnt have procrastinated.

Hatchet gave me a really good spreadsheet I am using for my budget. Not counting labor I am able to do the bathroom for less than 2k using moderate materials. It's a small bathroom.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hatchet I got a quote from a friend (carpenter subcontractor) to re-do the bathroom for $3500 labor and materials included. LOL if I mess up I'll call him in to fix it :)

I'm going basic since I am getting married next year and this place will become a rental in 2 years max. The kitchen and bathroom are original from 1958 so NEED updating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tania mentioned a german bathtub. I have one that I am considering using in a bathroom that I am adding on to my home. This tub is galvanized and I was wondering how they hold up. It has some really dark spots on the inside. Is there something that might even out these spots and clean it up? Once I am using it as a tub, what should I clean it with? Can it be painted and if so will regular metal primer and paint be the best to use?
I love this tub because I can emmerse my entire body in it and because of its narrow size it doesn't use as much water. Any feedback about this type of tub would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts