Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Those are the best rooms to remodel, what kind of tips do you need? Flooring tips? what to do first and last?

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Florcraft said:
Those are the best rooms to remodel
The best and most expensive rooms to remodel!!!

Are you going to completely gut the rooms or just give them a face lift?

-Nathan

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nwingate said:
The best and most expensive rooms to remodel!!!

Are you going to completely gut the rooms or just give them a face lift?

-Nathan
I plan to keep the toilet but change the seat and tank. I also plan to keep the tub. I will preserve the walls as much as possible but everything else goes. New vanity, counters, counter tops, faucets, floor tile, light fixtures, medecine cabinets, and if my budget allows I will buy new appliances.

I wouldnt say it's a full remodel because I am keeping a few things, but it's definetly more than a face lift. But hell it's a condo and I will be renting this place out to someone within a few years as I live in my marbel walled mansion on my private island. <dreams>

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Granite is a nice touch for counters, although I dont know if you want to go there for price. Corian has always been real popular, but price again. Are you thinking about going with a ceramic tile on the floor?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Florcraft said:
Granite is a nice touch for counters, although I dont know if you want to go there for price. Corian has always been real popular, but price again. Are you thinking about going with a ceramic tile on the floor?
I thought about granite, but it's a condo. Why bother with the expense? I went to a bar the other week that had a custom counter top. It was marbel tile adhesived to some kind of 2" wood counter underneath. I was thinking of giving that a shot because it looks great if done right and it about half the cost of a granite top of equal size.

A few buds of mine suggested Corian also. Bathroom will be ceramic but kitchen will be some kind of premium vinyl or I was thinking about maybe pergo for the kitchen since the rest of my condo is all hard wood oak.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Laminate flooring is a good choice. THere is a granite called Bennissimo that has a rounded bullnose edge, that costs less than corian. Although I like corian quite a bit.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am leaning more twards corian now because that marble idea I had has flopped. I went back to the bar and as I was trying to set the bartender up with my brother I was also discussing the bar and she says it's hell for maintenance. :( Oh well.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Marble is lame for the kitchen, it doesnt do well with acidics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your going to rent it out, use the cheapest but best looking stuff possible, only because depending on the true side of your tenants you'll be more likely to wind up remodeling again from their lack of respect!!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I'm probably going to start the remodel in a week or two. I was wondering does anyone have a checklist or spreadsheet. I want to make sure I didn't forget anything so I don't go over budget.

I'm pricing stuff now at homdepot.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
remodeling the bathroom,sure sounds fun. i would definily replace the bathtub.. we have a pretty large one an a small one but no matter what size they are they are not as comfy as a german bathtub. you just cant lay down...
are you going to put tiles all over the walls ?flor; carpet or tiles? i would go for tiles on everything, especialy if you will someday rent it out a tile is easier replaced than carpet, plus kids love splashing... i am no `pro` in this, just my oppinion...
stainless steel for the kitchen? no fun to clean but looks nice

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For monetary reasons I am keeping the bathtub and toilet. Everything else is being replaced. I sit down in my tub just about every day, can't lay but I can sit :)

Not sure where I am putting tile yet. I think JUST in the shower area which will have a nice classy sliding shower door installed to seperate the regular space from the tub space.

No way in HE!! I am going to put carpet in the bathroom or kitchen. In my opinion that looks t a c k y. I am definetly going to tear out the old floor tile and put a new floor tile.

I'm thinking of brushed nickel hardware for the bathroom, not sure on the kitchen stuff yet. I havent given that too much thought since that is PHASE II.

Thank you for your opinions. I am glad this got bumped back to the top since I plan on starting in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL didn't start yet. I can't bring myself to do it. I keep thinking "I'm going to be without a toilet and shower for about a week." not to mention the new semester began so I've less free time. :( I shouldnt have procrastinated.

Hatchet gave me a really good spreadsheet I am using for my budget. Not counting labor I am able to do the bathroom for less than 2k using moderate materials. It's a small bathroom.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hatchet I got a quote from a friend (carpenter subcontractor) to re-do the bathroom for $3500 labor and materials included. LOL if I mess up I'll call him in to fix it :)

I'm going basic since I am getting married next year and this place will become a rental in 2 years max. The kitchen and bathroom are original from 1958 so NEED updating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tania mentioned a german bathtub. I have one that I am considering using in a bathroom that I am adding on to my home. This tub is galvanized and I was wondering how they hold up. It has some really dark spots on the inside. Is there something that might even out these spots and clean it up? Once I am using it as a tub, what should I clean it with? Can it be painted and if so will regular metal primer and paint be the best to use?
I love this tub because I can emmerse my entire body in it and because of its narrow size it doesn't use as much water. Any feedback about this type of tub would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts