Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I am in the process of replacing existing layers of floor. Yes layers. I ripped out vinyl sheet on luan (one layer) which was over vinyl tiles on birch hardwood (second layer) down to the plywood subfloor. I needed to replace rotten plywood subfloor that near my jacuzzi tub, (connections inside the tub leaked). I ripped out the entire floor to the plywood. Total depth ripped out is approx. 1 1/8". The original depth was approx. 13/16" which is the depth I am trying to re-establish.
Now I have installed a 1/4" layer of hardibacker over the plywood. I am going to install 1/4" ceramic tile over that.
Laying out the tile I noticed the toilet flange might now be too high!! I can loosely fit two layer of dry tile under the flange.
I realize thinset may give me 1/8" more height when I set the ceramic tile but will the flange be too high for the toilet?
Sorry for the length of this post. Please help! Thanks
Wes

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
hmmm...I know about floors but not toilets...maybe the plumbing section can help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Florcraft said:
hmmm...I know about floors but not toilets...maybe the plumbing section can help.
Thanks Florcraft. After some additional investigation I decided the best thing to do is have a plumber come and reset the flange for me. They're doing it later today!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You just need a wax extender

They are a couple of bucks. It is good that you ripped out all that stuff and went back with the hardiboard. That is good stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts