Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Noob
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed plenty of laminate and tile for others but now I am finally doing my own floor in a bathroom.

Was hoping to get some pros/cons from some people that know more than me.

The woman wants laminate, I have no good reason to shoot this idea down other than I prefer tile. Laminate in a bathroom to me is just kind of :huh:

Just wanting some opinions on tile vs. laminate from guys that know rather than random crap from google.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Laminate is a product that will always expand and contract.

Water/moisture can get under the laminate due to separation of the joints(especially at the tub area) due to the moisture in the bathroom and cause mold between the underside of the laminate and the subfloor. Mold is a health hazard and you'll be damned if your going to be subject to mold while using the bathroom.

This is a better answer to tell the wife than saying laminate is cheesy looking in a bathroom.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Anything wood will take on moisture and change in someway. Some wood products are able to take on and release moisture without too much harm. Laminate isn't one of those products.

I don't like the mold scare method. Laminate isn't very quick to have microbial issues. Drywall is much much more susceptible to those issues.

Laminates biggest issue other than looks is its phobia of water. The more processed the material the less it likes moisture. Bathrooms are known for being places that have quite a few sources of moisture present. There will be times the floor gets wet and laminate isn't the best product for those times.

I would stick to that reason. When the shower curtain is left out of the shower or the kids splash in the tub or you step out of the tub while wet or the toilet overflows or the sink overflows or the teenager takes a long shower and it starts raining in there the laminate will have irreversible damage done.

I say you look into doing a rhino liner now....

·
Noob
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Laminate is a product that will always expand and contract.

Water/moisture can get under the laminate due to separation of the joints(especially at the tub area) due to the moisture in the bathroom and cause mold between the underside of the laminate and the subfloor. Mold is a health hazard and you'll be damned if your going to be subject to mold while using the bathroom.

This is a better answer to tell the wife than saying laminate is cheesy looking in a bathroom.:laughing:
That was going to be my story until she got pissed off and went to bed.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
They male a vinyl plank floor. It is 100% vinyl and looks pretty good. Installs just Luke laminate and comes in many stles including a faux wood.
Luxe, from Armstrong. Waterproof. There's an Armstrong place down the street from me. I'm going to have to go see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Do NOT argue and install the $#%&! laminate she wants. No point explaining that it will be coming out in a couple of months:laughing: You can not possible win!

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Luxe, from Armstrong. Waterproof. There's an Armstrong place down the street from me. I'm going to have to go see how it looks.

http://www.contractortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100365&stc=1&d=1380498577

http://www.contractortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100366&stc=1&d=1380498577

I was skeptical as well.

This is a basement remodel we did a few month ago.

Luxury Vinyl.

Sorry I don't have "close ups".

(But it looks better than laminate/Pergo...)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd always go for tiles if it was my choice. Remembering to dry any drips/spills on the laminate is too much like hard work. Then again, if you have someone willing to do that for the floor she wants... ;)

Or just get laminate with a guarantee against water damage, like quickstep lagune, if you can get that where you are.

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
This reminds me of a customer I had, who didn't know what she wanted and at the end she selected Marble for her floors. After the job was done, a few days later I get a call from her husband in panic... Hurry hurry there is a problem in the bathroom.

I run over there and he takes me to the bathroom and there is his wife spread eagle on the floor... she slipped and got suctioned to the Marble floor and the husband said he can't get her up. I said I will get a hammer and chisel and chip the Marble under her to let the air in and it will release the hold.
So the husband started to fondle her... I said what are you doing, now its not the time.... So he goes she will get wet, and I will slide her into the next room, the floor is less expensive there. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
This reminds me of a customer I had, who didn't know what she wanted and at the end she selected Marble for her floors. After the job was done, a few days later I get a call from her husband in panic... Hurry hurry there is a problem in the bathroom.

I run over there and he takes me to the bathroom and there is his wife spread eagle on the floor... she slipped and got suctioned to the Marble floor and the husband said he can't get her up. I said I will get a hammer and chisel and chip the Marble under her to let the air in and it will release the hold.
So the husband started to fondle her... I said what are you doing, now its not the time.... So he goes she will get wet, and I will slide her into the next room, the floor is less expensive there. :laughing:
Now that's gawd dang funny right there!

·
Registered
943 Posts
greg24k said:
This reminds me of a customer I had, who didn't know what she wanted and at the end she selected Marble for her floors. After the job was done, a few days later I get a call from her husband in panic... Hurry hurry there is a problem in the bathroom. I run over there and he takes me to the bathroom and there is his wife spread eagle on the floor... she slipped and got suctioned to the Marble floor and the husband said he can't get her up. I said I will get a hammer and chisel and chip the Marble under her to let the air in and it will release the hold. So the husband started to fondle her... I said what are you doing, now its not the time.... So he goes she will get wet, and I will slide her into the next room, the floor is less expensive there. :laughing:
I just spit out my coffee.

·
Noob
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why not wood looking tile , wood don't belong on a bathroom floor.
I know.

After a discussion of mold and telling her I simply wouldn't do the work she agreed to stfu and accept tile.

Now she can't make up her mind on a tile. Good freakin grief.

Working for others is easy, my own home will drive me to start drinking again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts