Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed they ate making decorative dome type lights that actually have exhaust fans built in. Any recommendations? Are they loud? So sick of the basic look of nutone, broan & Panasonic.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
I use the NuTone 744 recessed light fans. So far I'm happy with them.

I had a dome type it worked okay. You have to keep the inlet grill clean or it looks like crap.

Tom

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Tom M said:
I noticed they ate making decorative dome type lights that actually have exhaust fans built in. Any recommendations? Are they loud? So sick of the basic look of nutone, broan & Panasonic.
I tried a Broan exhaust fan/decorative light once. Now, this was a few years ago and didn't look like the one shown, however, it was loud. Not sure what look you are after... It's an exhaust fan!! I always use Panasonic because they are the quietest and best built out of all of them (IMO), and, I like the look of their grill. I don't like surface mount lights, much prefer pot lights.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Many options here.

Panasonic is King with bath fans.

Save a little by using the Air King line.

I've installed these decorative ones and have not had a callback to date.:thumbsup:

The Panasonic ones and the Air King fans both have a few quirks that make the first time with them a learning experience. Panasonics have wierd brackets that you have to get JUST right, and Air Kings have a few problems as well like screws that are difficult to reach and a ceiling flange that is useless.

But I'll take those 2 over any Broan/Nutone any day.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I did one similar to what griz posted in my house and a customers house, both are quiet (cant hear it over the shower) and have held up so far.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,070 Posts
If you really want quiet fart fans, use remote blower motors. Not only are they silent, but you almost have to upsell a timer because people keep leaving them turned on.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have this one from Lowes:

It seemed louder at first than it does now. I'm not real happy with the performance. It does suck in a lot of dirt, so you have to keep it clean.

i like the way it looks a lot better than the typical fan.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I can't recall who makes them.... I often put in the can type light/fan.

You don't see the fan grill, as it sucks air around the lamp... it's not fully recessed... stands off an inch or so with its molded frame... some are 2 light (heat lamp and reg light) some are just one lamp.

People seem to like the heat lamp in getting out of the shower.

They aren't necessarily any quieter than broans standard fan.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
I use the NuTone 744 recessed light fans. So far I'm happy with them.

I had a dome type it worked okay. You have to keep the inlet grill clean or it looks like crap.

Tom
I can't recall who makes them.... I often put in the can type light/fan.

You don't see the fan grill, as it sucks air around the lamp... it's not fully recessed... stands off an inch or so with its molded frame... some are 2 light (heat lamp and reg light) some are just one lamp.

People seem to like the heat lamp in getting out of the shower.

They aren't necessarily any quieter than broans standard fan.
The single recessed is the NuTone 744;

http://www.nutone.com/products/product/1ed82980-21e9-43d2-9b03-496b9ccf5680

Tom

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I like how few read. I said aside from the regular Panasonic.
To be precise to your questions: Yes, No

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've got a hunter (pretty sure).. It's about the same noise as others.

The coolest feature is the built in night light..

Similar to this link

Reactions: Tom M

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have this one from Lowes:

It seemed louder at first than it does now. I'm not real happy with the performance. It does suck in a lot of dirt, so you have to keep it clean.

i like the way it looks a lot better than the typical fan.:thumbsup:
I think we have the same one. Mine was not loud at all but sure sucked in a lot of :censored:!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts