Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry but architectural carpentry isn't doing it for me.
I like "Architectural millwork fabrication and installation" better.
It just fits my image of you better
Thanks for the feedback.

I do get more millwork projects each year, but I don't even own a shaper or molder. The millwork I produce is done with primitive tooling (at this point)... so I would not put millwork in the name of my business.

I am still mostly a trim carpenter, who aspires to do more "architectural" work.

G'day,

Bass

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like mill work better.
I post pretty pictures of millwork here, but this week I'm the demo, framing and drywall guy. There will be some built-in's in the job but most of the millwork will be off the shelf.

My roots are in carpentry and most of my work still fits that label.

Regards,

Bass

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do agree that "Carpentry" is WRONG.

"Craft" or some form of the word, better describes your Art!
Just a question............

Any Gaelic "Influences" in yer logo??
Maybe I'm just doing my part to elevate public opinion about what carpenters do.:party:

The logo is a Basswood tree, rendered as a Celtic knot (I'm Scottish/Irish) in a marquetry medallion motif. This winter I hope to make some wood inlayed versions of the logo in the shop for real wood yard signs.

Have a great day!

Bass

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Nicely done, someone mentioned a chisel and plane, how about having a plane (in action) and the curls of wood that are being ejected form your celtic logo:thumbup:GMOD

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
The logo is a Basswood tree, rendered as a Celtic knot (I'm Scottish/Irish) in a marquetry medallion motif. This winter I hope to make some wood inlayed versions of the logo in the shop for real wood yard signs.

That is where I was pointing!!!!

Yer a good lad!!!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think you're doing fine with the name and logo.

Architectural Carpentry is a good ( and easy to understand) explanation,

Architectural Mill Work --Conjures an image of a production factory-Not a craftsman.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how about architectural wood design?

maybe a definition of what 'mill work' is would help us less informed folks :)
I do such weird stuff that there would be something wrong with any label... I'll just keep the name as is... interesting to see all the feedback though.

Millwork is just wood molding... I do some of that, but plenty of other stuff too.

Cheers,

Bass

·
Registered
196 Posts
I consider trim work to be just moldings.

Millwork is wood that has been milled. So doors, windows, cabinets, including moldings would apply. But I work for Starr Millwork so I might be just defending the name :whistling because we install cabinets, doors, wall paneling, restaurant bars, trim work, etc.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I consider trim work to be just moldings.

Millwork is wood that has been milled. So doors, windows, cabinets, including moldings would apply. But I work for Starr Millwork so I might be just defending the name :whistling because we install cabinets, doors, wall paneling, restaurant bars, trim work, etc.
Doors, windows and cabinets are essentially large collections of preassembled moldings... so like I said. Millwork is molding.:jester:

I get your point though. Molding was originally plaster trim cast in molds.

Bass

1 - 20 of 25 Posts