Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for Christmas, and I agreed with the wife to a basketball goal for the kids (yeah, like she had to twist my arm on that one). Unfortunately, a pole in the ground won't work, but there is plenty of wall space above the garage door and below the roofline. I got the necessary bracket from Lifetime that attaches to the wall. This one actually adjusts so my kids can play at the right height. (8ft for munchkins, but 10 for me even though I am vertically challenged).

You are more than welcome to come over after Christmas and play.

I am curious as how y'all would go about mounting the bracket. I have hardiplank siding. Should I cut and mount directly to the studs or mount directly on top of the hardiplank? Will the hardiplank break apart? I'll still go into the studs. The builder used that silver-coated cardboard sheathing and not osb or plywood.

The bracket is actually two vertical channels that are anchored to the wall and the bracket comes off of that.

Thanks for input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Neil,

My Brother has the same thing. He Pre drilled threw the Hardi and mounted. It has been up for a while with no problems... Good luck and give the kids a turn....LOL

Scott

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If the siding is flat, I'd mount right to it. If the siding is lapped I'd cut fairing blocks to take the pressure off of the high spots.
Another thought is to mount a backboard to the wall and mount through that. The board will also protect the paint from BB grit.
Happy slamdunkin'.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. After consulting the mounting instructions (please don't tell anyone I read instructions), I can take both your advices. The manual calls for mounting two 2x4's horizontally that are bolted to studs. In the kit is a single mounting tube (2x4 steel tube) with two horizontal brackets that bolt to the 2x4's that I mounted.

That said, I'm going to mount the 2x4's right over the hardiplank and into the studs, but I'll take the 2x4's over to my buddy's house (the one with a big table saw) and fair the lenghths so they'll be perpendicular.

Thanks for the input. Come over anytime, my kids like to share (and play make-it-take-it). Maybe after shooting hoops, we can then go work on my workshop. :cheesygri

1 - 4 of 4 Posts