Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,296 Posts
What's to figure out? No pickets or rails, just horizonal 1x6's going from one side of the post to the other on the next post, start the next board on opposite side of post. If you can't figure out something that simple maybe you're in the wrong business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By the way i was meaning making the corners work and if the fence went over a hill. No chit about the basics.

Should have been more Pacific, I went with 1 x 8 and made the post a lil shallow of 8 feet for the bend.

Theres only one i seen like this besides a few pics online.

Last time ill ask a question here.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,296 Posts
By the way i was meaning making the corners work and if the fence went over a hill. No chit about the basics.

Should have been more Pacific, I went with 1 x 8 and made the post a lil shallow of 8 feet for the bend.

Theres only one i seen like this besides a few pics online.

Last time ill ask a question here.
See there you did it all by yourself & did a good job of it too. I'm proud of you.

Don't get all offended cause no came to hold you hand on something that simple. Grow some thicker skin.

Kinda like that guy who asked how do you cut a straight line on long runs, if you don't know that you got no business contracting.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I'd never heard of or seen a "basket weave" fence before....I like it a lot.

How do they hold up over time? Is there more maintenance than a normal wooden fence or specific drawbacks to this style?

Seems like a lot of stress on the planks...after time, and a few rain showers, they'll take the shape, but it seems like the end grain would start to break down, then the boards would pull right through the nails.

Like I said I like the look, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'd never heard of or seen a "basket weave" fence before....I like it a lot.

How do they hold up over time? Is there more maintenance than a normal wooden fence or specific drawbacks to this style?

Seems like a lot of stress on the planks...after time, and a few rain showers, they'll take the shape, but it seems like the end grain would start to break down, then the boards would pull right through the nails.

Like I said I like the look, I'm just curious.
I'm not a fan of them. There are plenty of them here, built in the late 80's and early 90's.

No more maintenance than any other wood fence. If I built it I would put a 1x vertically at the posts to cover the butt joints and to keep the boards secured.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts