Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

Normally I get the info I need here from pevious posts, with out having to actually ask, but I've searched the site and don't see much info on basement waterproofing.

We (my lovely wife and I) are rehabilitating a 150 year old farm house. We actually had an engineering firm jack it up (to remedy some settling over the years) and we dug a partial basement since we had to put in a new foundation anyway. My contractor slapped on two coats of Drylock on the outside walls, and back filled before I could say "Stop". It leaked like a sieve, so now I've had the dirt dug back out and we're going to do it right this time.

What is y'alls opinion of the best waterproofing method for residential basements?

·
Registered
313 Posts
First thing I would do is call a commercial waterproofer for an estimate. He will recommend various products of which may be Bentonite (a natural clay), bituthene sheeting or a bituthene spray. And don't jack him around. Give him an honest opportunity to perform the work.

The next step before backfilling with earth is to protect the waterproofing membrane. Styrofoam board or a plastic drainage mat is in order.

Also, you need to install a foundation drain to relieve hydrostatic pressure.

Finally, ensure that the finish grades of earth around the structure shed water away and around from it.

But above all else, monitor the earth backfill against the membrane for damage. Don't let any damage get covered up. Get it repaired.

Think of it as building a boat. And ask anyone dealing with basement water if they think my advice is overdone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

GCMan said:
First thing I would do is call a commercial waterproofer for an estimate. He will recommend various products of which may be Bentonite (a natural clay), bituthene sheeting or a bituthene spray. And don't jack him around. Give him an honest opportunity to perform the work.

The next step before backfilling with earth is to protect the waterproofing membrane. Styrofoam board or a plastic drainage mat is in order.

Also, you need to install a foundation drain to relieve hydrostatic pressure.

Finally, ensure that the finish grades of earth around the structure shed water away and around from it.

But above all else, monitor the earth backfill against the membrane for damage. Don't let any damage get covered up. Get it repaired.

Think of it as building a boat. And ask anyone dealing with basement water if they think my advice is overdone.
Thanks for the advice, GCMan. Your thoughts are very similar to my own on how the job should be done.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeppers! And as an aside, in my little commercial world I tell my grading contractor forman to let me know if he damages the waterproofing while he backfills. I tell him that I'll get it fixed at no cost, so don't cover it up. He usually looks at me like I'm crazy, so I stare back at him and say, "Waterproofing is 5% of the job and 95% of liability and we'll take care of an honest grading contractor." A cat covers up his sh*t, but a Cat operator need not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts