Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Chicago and I am in the process of fixing my basement, it will include a kitchen, bath, living room and two bedrooms. I recently recieved an estimate for framing the walls and putting up the drywall (it does not include the taping and so on) of $4,000.00. That is only for labor work for I will be purchasing the materials myself. This seems way more then I was expecting just for labor work. The worker is not from a company but he is just doing it as a side job if that makes a difference. This is just my first estimate but I want to know if this is the going rate or is this price on the expensive side. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Welp, - - if you don't like it get 10 more prices, - - then have the cheapest one do the work, - - then come back and tell us what a lousy job he did!!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Can't tell you if it's good or bad:

- How many feet of wall?
- How many SF of drywall?
- How high are the walls?
- Are the ceilings drywall?
- Where are you located?

Personally, based on just the "kitchen, bath, living room, and 2 bedrooms" comment, it sounds light to me. Basements are a PITA- tough to drag material down there, pipes, duct, etc., to work around, nothing to fasten top track to, wavy floor slabs, etc.

But, as Tom said- get more prices- just beware that low price isn't usually the best way to select a contractor.

Bob

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
miggy said:
I live in Chicago and I am in the process of fixing my basement, it will include a kitchen, bath, living room and two bedrooms.
Is this being permited?

In my area you can't always put a kitchen in a basement, that's their criteria making it a 2 family house and most of the residential areas are zoned only for single family.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, I'm getting THAT feeling.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bob Kovacs said:
Can't tell you if it's good or bad:

- How many feet of wall?
- How many SF of drywall?
- How high are the walls?
- Are the ceilings drywall?
- Where are you located?

Personally, based on just the "kitchen, bath, living room, and 2 bedrooms" comment, it sounds light to me. Basements are a PITA- tough to drag material down there, pipes, duct, etc., to work around, nothing to fasten top track to, wavy floor slabs, etc.

But, as Tom said- get more prices- just beware that low price isn't usually the best way to select a contractor.

Bob
It's not a contractor, it's some guy with a hammer.

miggy said:
.... This seems way more then I was expecting just for labor work. The worker is not from a company but he is just doing it as a side job if that makes a difference. ....
Yes, it makes a difference. What does he do for a "real job?"
Is he gonna be at your place a couple hours a week, during his, and your, off time, hammering and sawing?
A contractor would likely get it done quickly and during the workday, leaving you with a quiet house to relax in at night and on weekends.
A "side job" guy on the other hand, will consider your work to be secondary to his real job, and will work at your place whenever he needs more beer money.
Disclaimer:
This is, of course, a generalization, I am sure there are competent carpenters out there working on the side, and some incompetent contractors as well.

Crawdad

·
Registered
4 Posts
i agree with all the above answers, if you are trying to do this on the cheap, try doing it your self, framing & hanging rock are probably the easiest to learn to do, i'm sure that there is plenty of talent here to assist you, basic carpentry.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I think your going about it all wrong. Owens corning makes a excellent finishing basement kit. They also if you go to there web site will put you intouch with a certified installer by them. Know the estimate. I would ask Grumpy. He might know a few drywallers who would like to pick up some extra walking around money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts