Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a client who has a basement walkout on the side of her home facing east, she would like it to be now facing the west, the existing walkout has 10" thick poured concrete walls which are about 100 years old and have a number of cracks in it,
The drawings we got call for 10" block filled with reebar, that's fine I can do that, we are using the existing door into the basement so the end wall at the bottom of the stairs will have to be removed, my question, the existing concrete wall,will it have to be removed completely I was just planning on leaving it and filling the existing steps in with the dirt we remove from the new section.

Hope this makes sense.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Have a client who has a basement walkout on the side of her home facing east, she would like it to be now facing the west, the existing walkout has 10" thick poured concrete walls which are about 100 years old and have a number of cracks in it,
The drawings we got call for 10" block filled with reebar, that's fine I can do that, we are using the existing door into the basement so the end wall at the bottom of the stairs will have to be removed, my question, the existing concrete wall,will it have to be removed completely I was just planning on leaving it and filling the existing steps in with the dirt we remove from the new section.

Hope this makes sense.
Take a few courses down and backfill... bust the floor up to allow water to escape.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are using the existing concrete pad at the bottom of the stairs, the existing wall is concrete, so I can't just take of a few courses,

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
S.U.M said:
Rough sketch,
I don't see a problem with it just put tar and plastic on the foundation wall adjacent to the basement

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I do not know if I'M interpreting things correctly.So I ask the question,won't the basement footing be exposed to frost ? On walk outs here we stair step the footings four feet to be below frost line.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
fjn said:
I do not know if I'M interpreting things correctly.So I ask the question,won't the basement footing be exposed to frost ? On walk outs here we stair step the footings four feet to be below frost line.
It will be when they move it to the other side... So I hope they know that and I hope he is doing this in a warm climate region. I'm on iPad I can't tell where he is from.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
It will be when they move it to the other side... So I hope they know that and I hope he is doing this in a warm climate region. I'm on iPad I can't tell where he is from.

I would say it gets quite chilly where he is from.....Toronto Canada:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts