Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finished a couple basements this year. For the subfloor I have installed Platon (nippled membrane) over the concrete and then anchored down 3/4 in TG ply and OSB to complete the subfloor.

Platon suggests that his is an excellent waterproof and warm subfloor system. Just wanted to know if anybody else has gone this route and what their thoughts were. Thanks.

Kevin

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I have finished a couple basements this year. For the subfloor I have installed Platon (nippled membrane) over the concrete and then anchored down 3/4 in TG ply and OSB to complete the subfloor.

Platon suggests that his is an excellent waterproof and warm subfloor system. Just wanted to know if anybody else has gone this route and what their thoughts were. Thanks.

Kevin
Kinda confused by your question. Seems like you've used this system so why not tell us what you think about it? What's the reason for T&G ply AND OSB?

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
Anytime you put wood on concrete, it's a problem waiting to happen. And why would you put OSB over ply? That makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Please send pictures of the last couple of basements that you did.

I never used this product--How did you deal with stair height? floor drains? What about moisture entrapment? LOVE TO SEE PICTURES

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Have not used the product but "nippled membrane" has my attention.:whistling
Same here, damn if I was drinking something, it would be all over the screen.

Their website BTW says dimpled. It's an innie, not an outie. :laughing:

·
Registered
514 Posts
There's an interesting article in FHB this month on this topic. Can't say I'm crazy about it yet but it was an interesting read. In that article it specifically addresses the point of not penetrating the vapor barrier and I would definitely heed that advice if I were to do try this.

·
Discounted flooring
3 Posts
i always though it was total bad idea to install hardwood flooring in basements. i think there isn't any manufacturer even warranties the product. also why was your choice OSB over plywood you know they use chemicals with OSB board that always not agree with wood glue.

·
Discounted flooring
3 Posts
Osb over concrete

hey i checked in to that board yes it's fine but basement part is the problem, moisture and water runs of wall even now that is why, but for future you may want to read Bosticks BEST glue specs it explains on there what to do when installing sub floor over concrete floor
Where Plywood Substrate Over Concrete is
Required: Using a 1/4" x 1/4" square-notched trowel to
apply adhesive, set 4' x 4' sheets of 3/4" exterior grade
plywood into wet adhesive. Score plywood sheets on the
backside every 8" to 10" by using a circular saw and cutting
one half the thickness of the sheets. Scoring or “kerfing”
takes the tension out of plywood and helps prevent possible
warping or curling. Allow to fully cure before nailing strip.
this may be good idea for all boards because it makes scene. good luck floorswedo.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've used Dricore with good results too. A couple of years ago, we had over a foot of rain in a short period of time. We had done over a basement and put in a pedastal pump and a finished floor over dricore. I think hers was one of the few basements that stayed dry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts