Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly unique situation but may not need anything complicated. I have a very deep basement with a septic pump. The line from the pump runs past the new house we are building over the old basement.

I'd like to tie the new house septic to the old line. My concern is that when the basement pump comes on, sewer water will pump into the house. My first thought was to use a check valve on the new house line before tying into the old line.

Maybe a simple check valve is the easiest answer but wanted to make sure. This isn't something that I can ask a regular plumber in my area as basements are very rare.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

GT

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
We use backflow valves in tacoma when the basement has a fixture below the sewer at the street. However I've done three homes with sewage lift pumps and they didn't need them. There must be a plumber that can help you in your area.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Oh right, always had a check valve there, I was thinking he was worried it would make a hard turn at a wye and pump uphill and out a toilet or something, so he was thinking about a second check valve to prevent that.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
When you guys ask these questions it would be nice to have drawings of some sort. None of what I say or draw has any meaning unless what I have pictured in my head matches what's in your home.

It's critical these things are done correctly. A simple sketch and a smart phone photo might reveal a potential problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts