Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Im a carpenter
im doing a 950 sq ft basement 17 x 57 roughly ,needs waterproofing from
inside with 3 windows that need window wells .replace total 5 windows ,8 doors hollow core ,5/8 drywall ceiling,1/2 inch on about 200 linear ft of walls 3 piece shower/washroom.2x2 tile throughout ,reconfigue old electrical as has lots of junction boxes.26 pots to be installled standard number of sockets etc.new steel back door.standard trim through out. paint 3 coats.r12 insulation

ive been quoted 9500 eletrical

19 waterproofing

3k plumbing

Im new to canada and been here 6 years so still learning the pricing game,I came in at 66k with out building in any profit,

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

whats the rates to hang and finish drywall in toronto

·
Registered
514 Posts

23k waterproofing

3k plumbing

I came in at 66k with out building in any profit,
Hmmmm, this is a tough one to figure but my calculator says it looks like you still have 30,500 to get the rest of the work done.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Hi Im a Toronto carpenter
im doing a 950 sq ft basement 17 x 57 roughly ,needs waterproofing from
inside with 3 windows that need window wells .replace total 5 windows ,8 doors hollow core ,5/8 drywall ceiling,1/2 inch on about 200 linear ft of walls 3 piece shower/washroom.2x2 tile throughout ,reconfigue old electrical as has lots of junction boxes.26 pots to be installled standard number of sockets etc.new steel back door.standard trim through out. paint 3 coats.r12 insulation

23k waterproofing

3k plumbing

Im new to canada and been here 6 years so still learning the pricing game,I came in at 66k with out building in any profit,

Any advice would be greatly apreciated
"Build in" some profit

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Ok, just because you are a fellow Canadian, here goes.

If you don't understand what these prices are telling you, if you don't know if they are high or low, you had better just stick to your trade. Hope you know that at least. Stay out of the contracting business until you know what is going on, what the work is worth, how to know good trades from bad, what percent markups you need to add, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.

Or stay in the business, you will learn, probably the hard way though. LOL

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ok, just because you are a fellow Canadian, here goes.

If you don't understand what these prices are telling you, if you don't know if they are high or low, you had better just stick to your trade. Hope you know that at least. Stay out of the contracting business until you know what is going on, what the work is worth, how to know good trades from bad, what percent markups you need to add, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.

Or stay in the business, you will learn, probably the hard way though. LOL
What he said.
23 K for waterproffing seems high. Ditto for the electrical. Plumbing seems about right.
I recently quoted a basement of 1100 sq ft. It was early MArch, the owner wanted it right away, my season hadn't started yet, so I went low: $32,000.00. I had a gross profit of about $8000.
Some other guy took it for $29,000, but included carpet, hardwood floor, glass shelving behind the bar, ceramic tile in the otherwise unfinished utility room, and a front porch aluminum enclosure, which a good freind of mine quoted at $4000.00. I cannot imagine how the guy made money.

On the other hand, 66K for an 1100 sq ft basement is a bit much.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Guys for the constructive help and **** you to all the idiots pulling my chain,everybody has to start somewhere i was just looking for a bit of advice and help.

got the waterproofing down to 18 k now.

·
Eater of sins.
4,500 Posts
I am curious, why is it that you think anyone here knows what you should charge?

Do we know your expenses and needs?

Do you have kids to feed or dogs or cats or an ex-wife or two?

Do you have a drug or alcohol addiction that needs feeding?

If we gave you a good price that we pull from our arsses and you make money will you share the profit with us?

Do you have a shop that you need to pay rent on or do you work from a cardboard box, and your car with only a cell phone?

There is no 'going or standard rate' for any of this stuff we all just try to get as much as we can for the job at any one time.

If you are a carpenter why are you acting as the general? Turn the job onto a general with experience who knows how to bid in your area.

This really does sound like a question from a HO.

And don't get so persnickitty. Ask a real question and the pros here will be happy to help.

Andy.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
asswholee

who the ffff do you think you are ive been making a very good living as a carpenter and a gc on some jobs im just asking for some advice.There are standard rates that should be charged and weather or not i have 25 kids and 6 cell phones does not mean i can hit the customer up for this.So dont tell me your the proffesionall you cheeky barstard.

this site is not for pricks like you.

I am curious, why is it that you think anyone here knows what you should charge?

Do we know your expenses and needs?

Do you have kids to feed or dogs or cats or an ex-wife or two?

Do you have a drug or alcohol addiction that needs feeding?

If we gave you a good price that we pull from our arsses and you make money will you share the profit with us?

Do you have a shop that you need to pay rent on or do you work from a cardboard box, and your car with only a cell phone?

There is no 'going or standard rate' for any of this stuff we all just try to get as much as we can for the job at any one time.

If you are a carpenter why are you acting as the general? Turn the job onto a general with experience who knows how to bid in your area.

This really does sound like a question from a HO.

And don't get so persnickitty. Ask a real question and the pros here will be happy to help.

Andy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts