Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Basement Light Replace Solution

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  artinall 
#1 ·
Hunkered down waiting for healthier times, I've turned to replacing the basement lighting. Have done some electrical (switches, outlets, swapped fixtures, basic wiring, etc) and would value anyone's thoughts...

Area is about 15 x 35. Unfinished joists and finished walls. Fluorescents were (4) 8' : 75w 4400 lumens 4100k bulbs. Ballasts are gone. A single near-spent buzzer ready to die. When working all were blinding.

Switching them over, current setup is a single line 'traveling white' that trips the first column, with the 2nd line hopped from the first. The switch line runs behind a finished wall that I'm trying to keep simple.

Looking at 4' and 8' kits that come with pre-made 4' connector chords or less, will probably be replacing in (2) columns again which raises questions given he way kits come.

- what's the way to run that white traveller (mark black?) to the (2) new lead columns? They say you can hardwire these to a switch. But what to the 1st of column #2 considering these have their molded (3) line connectors? Does this mean opening up the housing and bypassing which I'd hesitate on doing?

Putting in a ceiling on this area is being put off probably for years. If it does happen, kit fixtures could be moved to another part of the house into a storage area.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.