Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the best flooring is for a concrete basement floor? I do not have any moisture issues and would like to put down a safe flooring so that my small children can play in the basement. I have read so many negative things about carpet (allergies, mold etc) that I don't know what to do. Thanks!

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
You can put anything down as long as you follow the manufacturers recommended installation methods for your situation. Boy that was CYA. But honestly - if you put sleepers and plywood over that you should be able to put anything down without much worry.
Most flooring manufacturers will provide you with what they recommend for installing over concrete.
Here's a recommendation on using adhesives and carpet tile - http://www.carpet-rug.com/drill_down_2.cfm?page=6&sub=10

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Laminate flooring would be a great choice. A good DIY job, and durable. Area rugs can provide more comfort and warmth.
Cork would be the ultimate if you can afford it. There are floating cork tiles that would be the most comfortable and very warm.
Both of those floors would not require any more of a subfloor install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
basement floor

I have used a water based two part epoxy from U Coat It in the basement and I am happy with the results. It was easy to install and went down with kit supplied tools. My floor is now a chemically resistant, easily cleanable and attractive surface. Spills just wipe right up, no soaking in the floor and staining it anymore. It is enviornmentally friendly and can be used in restaurant areas, so its safe for your children. Check out their website at www.ucoatit.com for more details. Hope this is another option for you.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Hard, cold concrete safe for children?
Easy to clean I will buy, but forget about livibility. I have heard alot of people going with this kind of system, but I am an extremely active dad, and my kids are of course incredibly active too, our doctor bills would skyrocket if we lived on that in the basement, let alone the heating bill.
Great advice, but lots of thought needed to make sure it's a good idea.
Not for all folks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello hopefully i can help your worring problems

undefined
unregistered said:
Does anyone know what the best flooring is for a concrete basement floor? I do not have any moisture issues and would like to put down a safe flooring so that my small children can play in the basement. I have read so many negative things about carpet (allergies, mold etc) that I don't know what to do. Thanks!
How are u doing i've been installing carpet for for 7 yrs i've never really seen a problem with mold under just carpet mold comes from floods or leaks that are not taken care of very fast but let me help u with worrys of laying carpet in your basement if carpet gets wet it can be brought up dryed out and reinstalled as long as its not glued down if u use wood water may buckle panels another thing carpet will be the softest flooring for your children and the safest in my eyes laminet is a nice floor but very expensive to have to buy to have to worry about problems under your floor. hopefully this helps u out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
U-Coat-it underwhelming and overpriced.

I used U-Coat-It on my garage floor and was very unhappy.
The product is good quality but they don't give you near enough of it.
It does not cover near the square footage that they state.
It also goes on too thin and any texture in the concrete shows through badly.

Learn from my mistake and avoid this company.

Check out the epoxy paint at Griot's Garage.
Much, much cheaper and a good company.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Whatever you decide on, SEAL THE CONCRETE!!! 3 coats, not that it needs 3 coats but to ensure that everything is sealed.
For kids, carpet (cheap) is the only way to go, buy the cheap pad too. Fluids are going to leak through and you will replace the carpet and pad soon enough, Carpet also deadens noise and reduces injuries. Save for real flooring when they leave for college.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
yea, floating hardwood would work, with some nice Olefin area rugs for stain resistance, affordability, and comfort.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
GOOD POINT.

how about an Ark living room, that way your prepared :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts