Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a concrete slab basement that needs flooring. What is best for a moderate moisture environment? Tile, carpet engineered flooring? Would prefer not to use laminates.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have a concrete slab basement that needs flooring. What is best for a moderate moisture environment? Tile, carpet engineered flooring? Would prefer not to use laminates.
I always recommend tile first for any basement. If tile's too cold, next is carpet. If you ever have a severe moisture problem, carpet is easier to remove and replace than engineered, especially a glue down.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Possibly another suggestion to add to your list would be an epoxy coating floor system. Cost effective as well as green products (ego friendly) available.

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
They make a plastic underlayment that you can put down over the concrete that will give you an air barrier between the concrete and whatever floor you want to put down. Don't know if you can use tile with it. They sell it at Lowes but I can't remember the name of it.

·
Concrete Mike
285 Posts
Make sure you take a ph test before you apply any epoxy or glue to the floor, if you don't it can be a waste of your time and money.

·
Concrete Mike
285 Posts

Thanks for the inputs. How do you test concrete for ph? That is something new to me.
You can buy a kit at your local flooring company or concrete supplies. Check out raydonseal.com or duraamen.com, the test is done many differt ways, the easy way is by placement of calcium chloride test dish on the floor, wait approx 3 days, weight dish, then read chart. A test should be done prior to placement of ALL FLOORING on new or old concrete.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Lvp/lvt

I'm a big fan of luxury vinyl plank or tile, especially if moisture is an issue. Carpet is warmer and comfortable underfoot, shortest life, can get moldy and hold or breed allergens in a damp basement in a hurry.

The regular pressure sensetive adhesive we normally use on Karndean products seems to hold up well to most situations. Had a rep tell me he saw a house after it had 4' of water in it, cleaned out the mud and the floor was still good. They also have an epoxy made for wet areas like in locker rooms or shower rooms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts