Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! You guys have been so helpful over the years and I want to thank you for ALL of your contributions.

I'm brand new to contracting and actually just got my license this year, primarily so I could get financing for a self-build, but eventually to profit in the industry.

My question is probably very basic, so forgive me. My block foundation was completed last week, interior footing backfill is done, tomorrow they're bracing and next week they'll backfill. I went out to measure the opening for the basement egress window and it's 5'W by 4'H. The building plans call for a 5 by 4 RO for the window, and the window specs list a casement window with a 5 by 4 RO, but my header requirement is a double 2X10.

So my questions: How am I supposed to fit a 5 by 4 window into a 5 by 4 hole that also needs a 9 1/2 inch header? Should I have been more involved with their block laying? Should it have been assumed to create a hole that allows for the header and jack studs? Can I still get the minimum 20 W by 24 H and 5.7 sq ft of clearance with a Casement window that's for a 57 W by 38 1/2 H RO? Thanks for your time. Sorry I got a little wordy.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
How far above the floor is the sill? 43" maximum allowed, more or less, let alone the opening size.

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
How far above the floor is the sill? 43" maximum allowed, more or less, let alone the opening size.
It was always maximum 44" if I remember correctly, unless it was changed in 2012 code addition.

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
Greetings! You guys have been so helpful over the years and I want to thank you for ALL of your contributions.

I'm brand new to contracting and actually just got my license this year, primarily so I could get financing for a self-build, but eventually to profit in the industry.

My question is probably very basic, so forgive me. My block foundation was completed last week, interior footing backfill is done, tomorrow they're bracing and next week they'll backfill. I went out to measure the opening for the basement egress window and it's 5'W by 4'H. The building plans call for a 5 by 4 RO for the window, and the window specs list a casement window with a 5 by 4 RO, but my header requirement is a double 2X10.

So my questions: How am I supposed to fit a 5 by 4 window into a 5 by 4 hole that also needs a 9 1/2 inch header? Should I have been more involved with their block laying? Should it have been assumed to create a hole that allows for the header and jack studs? Can I still get the minimum 20 W by 24 H and 5.7 sq ft of clearance with a Casement window that's for a 57 W by 38 1/2 H RO? Thanks for your time. Sorry I got a little wordy.
21 7/8 x 37 7/8 this is what you need to meet egress net clear opening, so anything above that you can use, so you should be OK... Unless they specifically want a certain type of window and who ever is in charge didn't point this out to the mason, because most masons will always asks about window openings and how much room needed for framing so they can leave enough room.
As the header goes, you can drop one on top of the sill plate and worst case scenario cut the block if they don't settle for anything less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts