Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to look at a potential job for a basement finish (past client).
He would like a drywall ceiling but there is so much ducting,beams,pipes,shut-offs,etc., that I doubt if I can get up one full sheet without framing the whole ceiling down.
He really doesn't like suspended ceilings because they look like offices.
Is anybody using something other than these two options that won't break the bank ?
I gave him a USG brochure and he does have a point.
This basement is about 2000 sf.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I usually do the bulkheads in dw. The main ceilings can be either. I did one last year and we spray painted the tiles to the owners spec. Only took me a day with my HVLP.

Just another option.

Look to see if there is anyway to re-route ducwork to minimize the bulkheads. Obviously keep them as simple as possible.

It's up to the HO in the end. I'm doing one right now and it will be dw because all we have is 7'0". No room for a dropped ceiling.

The downside is you can't fish other things in the future. Make sure everything they want is up there. :whistling

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Here it cost me the same to suspend or dw. Therefore I usually dw because its a much more finished looking and durable finish. In basements we typically level 5 smooth finish the ceilings so that patching can be easily done in the future. Nothing like matching a half azz texture..

·
General Contractor
7,896 Posts
A friend of my started doing Barrisol Ceilings, little costly but real nice stuff :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
77 Posts

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
summithomeinc said:
Just painted a basement ceiling flat black. Joists, wires, duct work. Actually came out pretty decent. Dryfall would be good too.
Done this a couple times. Take time and zip tie loose wires and water lines. Make sure all your new wiring is complete before painting. Good stain blocking primer and spray away. Wear a mask! Dryfall will work but its not as durable which could be a problem if its a lower ceiling.

·
General Contractor
7,896 Posts
http://www.barrisolusa.com/gallery/barrisol1/0003.html

Nice indeed...I'd have to have my entrance in my basement so people could appreciate it lol...

What's your take on Barrisol in general though?
I personally like it, ceiling has a nice look to it and it looks different then sheetrock or drop ceiling, something we see 95% of the time... Still a new product around here, not many know about it, and not many willing to pay for it yet 10x10 room will run approximately $2,500 just for the ceiling, Vs. $300 for drop ceiling

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That stretch ceiling is pretty cool but can't justify the price for a basement. We're going to go drop but haven't decided on a panel yet. The wife works in a hospital and sees drop ceilings all day long

·
General Contractor
143 Posts
That stretch ceiling is pretty cool but can't justify the price for a basement. We're going to go drop but haven't decided on a panel yet. The wife works in a hospital and sees drop ceilings all day long
they have some really nice ones that are subtle...nothing like whats at the hospital.:thumbsup:

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
I can't stand drop ceilings either. We ended up doing a drywall ceiling in my basement, but prior to that I was considering doing a painted grid with site fabricated plywood panels rather than the acoustic tiles. 2000 SF of 1/4 ply might be pricey, but you could use it strategically, with drywall in some areas and plywood in others.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I helped a friend finish his basement a couple months ago. Same problem, too low for drywall, didn't want a drop ceiling. We ended up painting the ceiling white. He had about a dozen can lights and he moved the S/C lines next to the steel beam. He went with white, and it looks pretty good. The white helps keep the room brighter and not so basement looking. His basement is half home office, half kids playroom, so the open ceiling works OK for him. Years ago I did a finished basement for a guy who did civil war reinactments with toy soldiers. We painted that one flat black with can lights pushed up in the joists.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are a couple of companies that may work for you fourcornerhome;
www.woodtrac.com
and
www.boulanger.qc.ca
The woodtrac system snaps to a standard 2x2 ceiling grid and the panels are easily removed to access all the nasties in basement ceilings.
I have seen the boulanger stuff at JLCLive in Providence and it seemed to be straight up clipping to the floor joists. Also accessible panels.
Those might help, the woodtrac runs about $4.00/sq ft for materials.

Phil

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Suspended drywall grid is pretty common in commercial work. You may want to look into that. You can drop a drywall lid below all the MEP's without having to frame the entire ceiling down in wood.

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
I have done many of drop ceilings around here and 2 drop drywall grids, one in Madison and one in Tueksbury, NJ. The drywall grid frames out to 2' x 4' increments and uses heaver gauge wire. The weight of the drywall is so much heavier than ceiling tiles, and so I can see a big problem with inexperianced workers hanging it with poor or improper support.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I really prefer an acoustical ceiling in a basment vs drywall. All the cardiovascular stuff runs thru there. I'll usually offer a 2'x2' grid and tiles with a 1/4" revel below the grid. Looks great and its not your run of the mill 2'x4'. We still use recessed can lighting which helps tilt the scales toward residential look. Only draw back is they are twice what a drywall ceiling will cost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts