Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing base in a villa and ran into a slight problem. I've done 3/4 of the home. Small base 3 1/4" same as what exists in about 1/8 of the home. I've done a quick drawing to show the issue and wonder what ideas you guys might have.

Thanks

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
HUH? With a 3/8" Height difference, I would just run the base tight the tile floor and leave a 3/8 gap under the base where the carpet will be put down. That space will be gone once the carpet is installed...

I am not sure this will help you but when I have come into a problem with two rooms with differnt base, I usally self return the smaller base ontop of the larger base at a corner...makes the smaller base "grow" out of the larger one....kind hard to explain but easy to see and do...

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TBF,
The base is already there in the right room. Tight to the slab floor and all around the room. I don't want to pull it up and install new in that room. The drawing is of a inside corner and outside corner, a small maybe 5" wall in this corner. All the old base comes to the outside corner and then to the tile floor. My work is the tile side. Do this explain better?

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
That drawing is hard to figure out but if it's on a straight run:
baseboard transition block

if it's on a corner:
baseboard outside corner post

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I hate blocks...when I see a block I see an attemp to cover up something....

To do it right, I would remove the base in the slabbed room and re attach it 3/8" off the floor and rip the base on the tile the 1/4". or use the base Full size on the tile and go buy the same base but taller and use that to re-install in the lower room.

Who based that room? Didn't they see this was going to be a problem? Guess they didn't care...

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I hear ya because most of the time the block is just that; a block. I think a decorative block that has some resemblance to the base is fully acceptable but for the love of pete, do something with some detail!

I am not a fan of ripping the base. Maybe for a small discrepancy but 5/8" would be visible to the eye. My biggest peeve is when a contractor adds flooring and doesn't remove/reinstall the base to the new height. :mad:

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

To do it right, I would remove the base in the slabbed room and re attach it 3/8" off the floor and rip the base on the tile the 1/4". or use the base Full size on the tile and go buy the same base but taller and use that to re-install in the lower room.

Who based that room? Didn't they see this was going to be a problem? Guess they didn't care...
This is a remodel. New owners. It is really my mistake I should have realized this way before now. But I goofed. The base in the carpet room was there. The base where the tile is was removed, hence I'm replacing it. What can I say I goofed on this one. I will try some options in the morning and if I can't figure something I will redo the carpeted room too. I don't like the thought of a corner block but it might work if I can find or make something that looks good. There is also another inside corner about a foot or so to the left on the tile side. Maybe I can do something there. It's a 90 degree corner. That might solve one side of the transition. The other side is going to be a whole other issue. 45 degree outside corner at the break. Right out in the open.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Even if you had caught this issue at the onset, ripping 5/8" off of 3 1/4" base would have looked like dogs#!t. Cheat the base down 1/4" somewhere along the tile, then raise the base in the carpeted room 3/8" to match. The carpet installer will apreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts