Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
if you are referring to transitioning from carpet to tile, I rip the base over the tile area down.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you are referring to transitioning from carpet to tile, I rip the base over the tile area down.
That is what I am referring to. Typically I keep base up 3/8 above subfloor for carpet. This particular tile is 3/4" high.

Wanted to probe and see if ripping the base was SOP.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Are you talking about putting the base down before it's tiled? I wouldn't do that. I would rip it down after the tile is laid.

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
Typically we hold the base up 3/8" off the subfloor (usually the fat end of a cedar shim). When there is carpet next to tile or hardwood, I will rip the base going onto the hard surface. Usually the ripped base will terminate into the side of a cabinet or casing. If there is more base where it will be completely on the tile or hardwood, I won't rip that down, just where it transitions. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That is what I am referring to. Typically I keep base up 3/8 above subfloor for carpet. This particular tile is 3/4" high.

I'd prefer any base installed prior to carpet to have NO gap. So for me you'd have to rip the bottom off the base that sets on the ceramic. I doubt there's a FIRM rule across our industry. Carpet layers have different opinions on this but I want to USE the base to secure my stretch by wedging it in tight to that gully I'm leaving with my tackless strip. If the base is up in the air and I'm slipping underneath then only the pins are holding the stretch. I like to LEAN into the power stretcher so I'm not coming back to re-stretch.....ever.

3/4" is pretty extreme height difference.

Maybe you ought to leave the base off til the carpet is laid.

If they're of my inclination they can use the drywall in the same manner to what ever extent it's not all slop **** down there where the base will cover ALL sins. It's really a disgrace what CONTRACTORS think they can get away with down there............

but that another subject entirely

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
3/4" is pretty extreme height difference.
If he's holds the base 3/8" up for carpet and the tile is 3/4" he only has a 3/8" difference. Like someone else said he only needs to rip the transition piece if it stops at a cabinet, etc. Depending on the aesthetics of full base and 3/8" ripped and where the other side ends, he might want to rip it all down.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,700 Posts

3/8 off the floor for carpet & yes, I rip 3/8 off the base where it goes from carpet onto the tile.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm fairly certain in the past 6 years I've never seen scribed base. Everybody just puts on shoe and calls it a day.
Because scribing it would look like crap. It accentuates the problem. Shoe tends to hide inconsistency better than scribing unless the base has a very wide flat area.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,617 Posts
I'm fairly certain in the past 6 years I've never seen scribed base. Everybody just puts on shoe and calls it a day.
There aren't many situations where it buys you something, but I run into them every ~2-3 years on OLD floors. If it's ~3 1/4" base, I can usually bend it to follow, but wider base doesn't bend so well, so that may get scribed. All depends on the floor and the base. A generic reply to the generic "SOP" question - either way is OK.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I never ran into a client that was willing to pay for scribbed base either.

I'm sure they're out there and I'm the only one who hasn't run into them. But I haven't.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,617 Posts
Because scribing it would look like crap. It accentuates the problem. Shoe tends to hide inconsistency better than scribing unless the base has a very wide flat area.
I think what you're thinking about here is if you were dealing with a hardwood floor, for instance, and it isn't totally flat along the edges. What you're dealing with here isn't really an inconsistency, it's a level change. It's the same issue with really old houses, where you know what level the top of the base needs to be at one point, and you know what level the top of the base needs to be at another point. Do you rip all your base in the high areas or do you put one end of the base a the level you need it, put the other end at the other level, and scribe to get the angled rips. Or use some experience. Options are good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts