Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a job that I was seeked out by a Homeowner who is wheel chair bound through word of mouth and some internet research. I started with this job October 18th, Last Year and this is going to be paid by the UCP and Medicaide through the Pennsylvania gov.
My original paper work was lost and I'm on my 3rd quote, awaiting approval and funding. I reduced the price and had to quote cheaper tile the 3rd time to meet the allowable CAP... It's been alomost a year now and very frustrating:censored: but I'ma hanging in there for this gentleman.

Anyway, its a small bathroom so I had to make due with the dimensions but I thought I'd share the design,made by a good friend, that was digitally mastered through photos of tile, Noble Linear drain, Moen faucets etc... It's not perfect but it's only the second one she did for me so I'm happy with the look:clap:
It'll be a fun job, if it ever goes through:whistling

Attachments

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Sweet! I've done a few of those type jobs...

Hope you don't mind waiting 3mo for the check:whistling

They are very rewarding in other ways though:thumbsup:

Reactions: Tech Dawg

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but there will be no door... that is only there for dimension purposes. The tile will stretch to the door casing which will be pvc trim. That's about the best I could make it with the layout at hand.
The floor tile will stretch to the outer side of the door then a single hollywood bevel

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's some of the "before's"... they don't want the door but I have to make it a little wider. He told me the tub was only used once so I couldn't even start to tell ya where he's taking a shower, it's sad...

He will transfer to a different wheel chair or a separate chair to use the space with the help of a nurse.

Attachments

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first thought. GL with the project.
How would you do it?? Due to the size of the room there is not enough room to use a center drain and properly grade the floor. Also, I have to work with the price guidelines on what Pennsylvania wants to spend, otherwise, I'd be knocking walls out and making an addition on the addition:laughing:

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a 5'x9' room but the other side already has a wheelchair accessable sink set up.

The problem here is the Case Workers who pay no mind to visit the homeowner at all to help plan. They do it all over the phone and email :sad:
Origionally the homeowner told me that the state would pay for a tub to shower conversion (no floor) just a kit installation so that's what I origionally quoted due to the recomendation of someone that doesn't care to know the patient. After they lost my origional paperwork, the case worker was changed and then I at least started to push for something more accessable so this is what is being paid for...
Either way, I know the HO will be happy to just take a shower, a real one! JDub was talking about using a Schluter strip on the outside portion to help keep water in (from another thread) so I will look at that option too

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
I like the design. I have done a few similar projects but as a sub who worked for the company who worked for the state. It is a fulfilling job to be able to help someone who needs it. Maybe include one of those vinyl doors.

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
This is a 5'x9' room but the other side already has a wheelchair accessable sink set up.

The problem here is the Case Workers who pay no mind to visit the homeowner at all to help plan. They do it all over the phone and email :sad:
Origionally the homeowner told me that the state would pay for a tub to shower conversion (no floor) just a kit installation so that's what I origionally quoted due to the recomendation of someone that doesn't care to know the patient. After they lost my origional paperwork, the case worker was changed and then I at least started to push for something more accessable so this is what is being paid for...
Either way, I know the HO will be happy to just take a shower, a real one! JDub was talking about using a Schluter strip on the outside portion to help keep water in (from another thread) so I will look at that option too
i think he just used that strip as a temp curb to flood test it...

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
What is your plan for the floor?
How will you slope?
Do you plan on recessing the Noble drain into the framing?
Do the joists run with the long or short side of the room?

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The joists run parallel to the tub shirt and I have to reframe so rotted lumber that I could see through the access panel. The drain will be recessed enough to start a 1/2" or so of deck mud at the drain and slope up to the back wall then the rest of the floor will be built up 1/2" to the other side. After floor tile the hollywood bevel will be even or 1/8" higher than tile at the doorway so there will be a small ramp.
Existing subfloor is a 3/4" cdx

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just received an email from the home owners agent and there are no updates to the home modification funding. Apparently, they are calling and emailing weekly to get the ball rolling on this project. The case worker seems to be pretty motivated so hopefully sooner than later I'll have this tub and shower unit torn out and get some pictures going...

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shower job was finally approved yesterday and first payment will arrive within 2 weeks... projected start date is the 2nd week of November and I called the homeowner to tell him...
His response: " I can't wait to take a hot shower!!!"

It feels good to know that I can change someones life :)

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
Shower job was finally approved yesterday and first payment will arrive within 2 weeks... projected start date is the 2nd week of November and I called the homeowner to tell him...
His response: " I can't wait to take a hot shower!!!"

It feels good to know that I can change someones life :)
add a car wash brush and some soap nozzles and make them go WOW:clap:

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Looks like a nice job for an appreciative customer. :thumbsup:

Is the customer a para or a quad? I ask because paras can transfer themselves, thus often there's a bench in the shower whereas a quad, even a higher functioning one, will have to have someone in there with them to transfer chairs and help them shower. (Quads can't do benches as they need more support anyway).

Either way, I'd change the niche to a longer one further away from the corner as if they're in a chair it may be hard for them to get stuff in corners and if someone is in there with them, they'll have to reach around them to get the stuff in the niche. I'd reframe the wall and put something like a 24" wide niche in, 1/3 of the way back from the faucet wall, and lower down. And as long as you're reframing that, put in blocking for a grab bar below that.

The guys are right here--most of the pleasure in doing this isn't the money, it's helping out the people.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts