Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am confused. My experience to date is working directly with homeowners.

Scenario:
Get a call for competitive bid. Two guys meet me there with a list of many bankowned homes. Find out it is a BankOwned home empty with an non-permitted addition that needs to be removed hence my license to pull demo permits etc. ( I called the city building department in charge of the house..and the lady in charge says yes the house has the code violation for correction..and she is similarly confused on who owns the property because points of contacts and different real estate agents come and go) We agree on price. They say they are partners of a property preservation company but offer no card. They say they need to get the price approved. One week later they say it is approved. I say I need a company address etc for the contract. They say use his personal home address, and that they are the only point of contact.

My questions:
Do I need to now the banks name?
How am I assured that these guys are actually even tied or legally able to contract for this property?
My first time dealing with Bank Preservation Companies. Are there standard contracts for these deals and terms and agreements?

My concerns:
My impression so far is that these guys somehow made a personal side deal as BUSINESS PARTNERS to bid jobs and manage projects for a small property preservation company. They receive lists of bank owned homes that need work. I look on line and the company pops up on linkdin.com as an llc with one principal owner no web site and no phone number.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
well it seems that your bat-senses are tingling, so that's a clue. Dig deep! doe's the bank actually own this house? did the bank authorize this reno?

I think you are right to question this whole thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would assume I need to know!

I assume I would need to know the principals:
Owner of home such as bank name.
Order from owner to do such work in writing.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
You need to clear something up. You say you got called to bid a demo job and your trade is homeowner. That really doesn't cut it.

You should only contract with a responsible party. At this point, you don't seem to know if the guy who wants to hire you has any legal interest in the property. Maybe he's a disgruntled friend, former contractor, neighbor, etc and just wants you to go damage the house for him.

If you contract with this guy, not even a company, how do you get paid? Who pays you?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Sounds like you are sitting in the 'chump' seat. I sure wouldn't demo a building without the actual owner signing off on the work.

These guys sound kind of odd to me.

·
Super Moderator
24,419 Posts
Do you have the appropriate license to do this work?
If so you need to find the legal owner of the property and determine their intentions. City/County records for legal owner, Building/Planning for illegal addition. Dealing with guys that are acting shady etc I think I'd find something else to do.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
First thing first: Ask for property survey from your client. If the client cannot produce a survey chances are they don’t own the property and you cannot sign a contract with them
Second go to the township building dept. and get a copy of the tax records to see who actually owns the home. You can also ask if there are any liens on the home too

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Bambambam,

I deal with bank owned properties all the time doing property preservation work, repairs, etc.,

Something doesn't sound quite right with those 2 Israeli guys & the whole thing as you described.

As far as finding out who actually owns the property, I go to the county recorders office.

·
brm1109
392 Posts
This whole thing doesn't sound right at all. I always go by my gut feeling. If for any reason my gut tells me to doubt a job then I just don't do it. Better not to do a job and maybe lose $5,000 or so then to do it and have it costing you 10 x's that much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So thanks for all this advice

They keep on calling me. They want me to do this work. They say my bid was approved ...now my question is by who????

They don't want to offer the business address of the property preservation company they say they are business partners with. The company is on linkdn.com with a business owner. But no contact information and it is an property preservation company with an llc and little backround info or anything.

How can I call their bluff and actually know that there is real order from a bank that says this XYZ property preservation company is supposed to contract out this project?

I am in Southern California

·
Super Moderator
24,419 Posts
There's a reason, what ever it is, they are not being upfront with you. If you're having this much trouble getting property info etc out of them how the hell are you going to get any money. Next time they call tell them you are no longer interested in doing the job. Just how many red flags do you need to walk (run fast) away from this one? What kind of lic do you have? How did they get your name? Your trade being listed as homeowner seem rather suspicious, are you the one in trouble?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Insist on a deposit, then a progress payment when you start. If not, well: no tickie, no washie.

It smells. If they refuse to tell you who owns the property and who wants the work done, well, what do you think your chances of getting paid are?
They keep calling you becuase for whatever reason they have to get it done, and no one else has agreed.
I'd walk in the other direction. Quickly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another thought is to ask them to put funds in an escrow account. at the very least you need some sort of proof of funds in addition to proof that you are enterring into a contract with a party with the legal ability to contract work for said property.

·
Super Moderator
24,419 Posts
Maybe the "Don" is sending a couple of mild mannered goons to send a message. RUN either from this job or the goons:hang::hang::hang:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Contract should be with the folks holding the checkbook --the Property Preservation Company/Property Owners. However, sounds like the checkbook holders are trying to absolve themselves of a commitment.

Who will you sue when they refuse to pay? Lien who?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
They keep on calling me. They want me to do this work. They say my bid was approved ...now my question is by who????

They don't want to offer the business address of the property preservation company they say they are business partners with. The company is on linkdn.com with a business owner. But no contact information and it is an property preservation company with an llc and little backround info or anything.

How can I call their bluff and actually know that there is real order from a bank that says this XYZ property preservation company is supposed to contract out this project?

Like I previous posted, I deal with bank owned properties almost on a daily basis. These guys are scamming you.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts

Wouldn't the first thing to be to ask for a work order with all the proper information on it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts