Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slight variant on the thread about leaky flat roofs.

IHAC who wants to rebuild their solarium to replace the existing roof with custom slabs of tempered glass held in place with silicone.. on a 2:12 pitch. Dumb.

Anyway, up here in Ottawa it's privates-shrinking cold for another month or two. But we have a warm spell right now where it's actually gotten above freezing a little bit. So I'd like to try and temporarily stem the flow of water into their solarium for the next month or two until I can get to rebuilding the roof properly.

Any spray-on rubber products work? I was thinking of putting a couple of sheets of OSB over the glass (all the seams are shot) and run it up the roof a little bit and cover it over with a weather-shield/primer or contact cement.

The challenge is that it will not be dry or above freezing for more than 6-8 hrs. So I'm not sure a rubberized product would work, so I was thinking the contact-cement solution...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is this a glass roof with caulked seams? I'm not sure I would go any further than an attempted recaulk of the seams, scrub them down, and use some NP-1 or geocell or something. Asking for problems adding osb on top.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a glass roof with caulked seams? I'm not sure I would go any further than an attempted recaulk of the seams, scrub them down, and use some NP-1 or geocell or something. Asking for problems adding osb on top.
Yes it is as you describe.

Too late. I did it yesterday. I was only able t shop at homer depot as roofing supply was closed, so I covered the roof with OSB, then blueskin on top of that, ran the blueskin up the roof a couple courses of shingles, then alum flashed over that and under the next course of shingles. Used a bunch of wet/dry goop where I could/thought it necessary.

Pretty confident it will shed water, less confident it will shed water under freeze thaw conditions. I will likely tear this down in March anyway to build proper structure. This was really just to stop the literal flood that was happening every warm and or sunny day.

Sorry, no pics. Too ugly :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts