Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Bamboo Decking

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mrghm 
#1 ·
I have a customer who is requesting bamboo decking. I have no experience with it and was just wondering what some of you thought about it? Long lasting? maintenance? Expensive? Where to find?

#2 ·
I like the idea using that stuff Buttttttt.... the way they make it is prone to mistakes or just plain sloppy work, the business end will not give out test samples , there are no specks I can find,and no jobs to "look at" exposed to the weather for 3/5 years or happy Wallets to talk to.

If you do the job anyway with bamboo at least I will have a field test.
J.

#6 ·
Done 4 interior floors in the past two years with strand woven T&G bamboo flooring. Looks great BUT it seems very sensitive to any water. Drips from transferring dishes from sink to dishwasher have swelled up the ends significantly. The strand woven is high in glue content so this is surprising. I can't think of using bamboo outside? What is the process that makes it go from interior to exterior rated product?

Some woods just work outside. For a hundred years or more, redwood, cedar, and pine have been used. Maybe there's a reason bamboo does not have that history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.