Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to frame chimney chase at place of “fake chimney”. It will be around 22’ tall. Will do photos of place tomorrow. Is it better go with 8’ 2X6 whit top plate and then build another wall at top of this (inspector say I can go 2X4 for upper part 16’ long). I think it would be more solid to do balloon framing. 2X6, at top of it 2X4 and join them with some 2X4 4’ or 6’ long, no top plate of 2X6 and seal plate of 2X4 between them. Of course 2X6 part have a lot surface to attach to existing framing. 2X4 part will just rise in air.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Balloon frame it with 2x4's, done all of the time.
Tanks man. I do not have experience so much with it aside doing a few when I was employee long time ago. How you connect joint, I mean place where upper and lower 2X4 meet. Probably 3. 2X4 like 6’ long. I would have to go lower one 2X6 as inspector said so to customer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
2x6 is only for energy code. You can build the whole chase out of 2x4 if the building envelope ends at the fire place face.

Break the chase vertically wherever is convenient. Fire code for chases isn't the same for walls. As long as the framing is nailed down to the lower and the sheathing nails to a common member you should be ok.

It mostly depends on how you are working. I work alone with a boom truck so that dictates much of what I do.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here are photos of situation. Make frame through but have to give up. It is job for guys with scaffold or bum truck. Respect for you capable to do it alone. Maybe I should just hire a bum truck and build everything at floor.
But keep in mind that my chimney is massive like 4,5’ wide and 3’ deep ( to big gable roof). 22’ in air from that lending that I build.
Get nail in forehead building that lending and that reinforce my decision to give up at that project.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts