Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was probably the most challenging roof I have ever had to figure out. There were 200 pages of roof details. 7 different pitches and 70 percent truss. Piecing everything together was a huge challenge. I was so glad when we finally finished it !!!!:eek:

http://s1071.photobucket.com/user/p...ae Custom/024_zpsb69808c5.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

OH......found this hiding.....lol...makes me laugh.......but it's nice to have something towork on with your daughter.....:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I always wonder, do the roofing details on projects like this revolve around the interior details or is it an partially an attempt to create curb appeal?

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
I always wonder, do the roofing details on projects like this revolve around the interior details or is it an partially an attempt to create curb appeal?
I am not too sure, about this house, but from what i know, its a little bit of both, but mainly curb appeal, ill take some pics of houses in my area with wally world roofs.. insanely dumb.. busy looking elevations.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I hate to rain on the parade, but trussed roofs like that are par for the course around here. Its a phenomena that drives me crazy, overdone, oversized roofs that often dwarf the frames under them. Stupid really. Alot of the roofs i frame come with three and four trusses stacked to make one. There was one house that i framed that had two layers of piggybacks and we used almost 700 sticks just for truss bracing

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
This was probably the most challenging roof I have ever had to figure out. There were 200 pages of roof details. 7 different pitches and 70 percent truss. Piecing everything together was a huge challenge. I was so glad when we finally finished it !!!!:eek:

It the 200 pages of details that sucks. Then sorting through the trusses on site. An organizational nightmare. Looks good!

:eek: SA they've been doing those truss abortions up by you since the 80's. And the truss mfg companies didn't have it down pat yet... burned lots of plywood and glue, making them 'right'. Seemed like every complex truss set had something wrong with them, that required "field" fixes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It the 200 pages of details that sucks. Then sorting through the trusses on site. An organizational nightmare. Looks good!

:eek: SA they've been doing those truss abortions up by you since the 80's. And the truss mfg companies didn't have it down pat yet... burned lots of plywood and glue, making them 'right'. Seemed like every complex truss set had something wrong with them, that required "field" fixes.
FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION THAT !!!! We had 12 different sections of roof that did not work......truss company screw up.......that's when the fun begins......first you need to find that it doesn't work...then you need to go backwards how ever many steps you know you didn't **** up and then roll forward until the mystery reveals itself. Parade's and rain don't mix.......for sure.....but neither do architect's and truss companies..:censored:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION THAT !!!! We had 12 different sections of roof that did not work......truss company screw up.......that's when the fun begins......first you need to find that it doesn't work...then you need to go backwards how ever many steps you know you didn't **** up and then roll forward until the mystery reveals itself. Parade's and rain don't mix.......for sure.....but neither do architect's and truss companies..:censored:
LOL Happy and Sad to see things haven't changed. The last house I framed... truss company's cad Monkey didn't understand the difference between brick and bearing wall, plus had some math problems on the interior vaults. Probably about 50% of the complexity of yours here. 2 men two full days. for fixes.:blink: gotta love it and got paid to fix it ---- Still wrong that it happened

·
Registered
594 Posts
We certainly get our fair share of fixes but there is one manufacturer that we have a really good relationship with. They will let us change setbacks for all the ceiling details so it works best for us. Too bad the builders never select that truss company! The thing that really pisses me off is the piggybacks. They are always off and then the peak gets wavy and all of a sudden its your fault that it looks like crap

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL Happy and Sad to see things haven't changed. The last house I framed... truss company's cad Monkey didn't understand the difference between brick and bearing wall, plus had some math problems on the interior vaults. Probably about 50% of the complexity of yours here. 2 men two full days. for fixes.:blink: gotta love it and got paid to fix it ---- Still wrong that it happened
:clap:....well at least you got paid for making it work...I ended up taking it up the chute (Union bull****).......and you know what......I left out the best part......here I am building a 2 million dollar house and they give me the blue prints and roof layout reversed.....:censored: ....that's why when you look at the roof plan the English writing is illegible...I had to pay 30 bucks at the local stationary store to flip everything.....I hate reverse [email protected]&$!~#@*&$#% !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We certainly get our fair share of fixes but there is one manufacturer that we have a really good relationship with. They will let us change setbacks for all the ceiling details so it works best for us. Too bad the builders never select that truss company! The thing that really pisses me off is the piggybacks. They are always off and then the peak gets wavy and all of a sudden its your fault that it looks like crap
The problem up here....is that there are way too many middle guys....so if you have played broken telephone......that's what it's like working in Toronto. There is one truss company like that that I deal with (when I am in the position to do so)....I can sit with my Marco...and we can nail it perfectly every time !!!! They are awesome !!!!

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
The problem up here....is that there are way too many middle guys....so if you have played broken telephone......that's what it's like working in Toronto. There is one truss company like that that I deal with (when I am in the position to do so)....I can sit with my Marco...and we can nail it perfectly every time !!!! They are awesome !!!!
Central Fairbank?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow. That's pretty chopped up, but it looks all right in the end, good job.

Looking through the pics, it looks like they just clear cut the whole subdivision? And didn't go with underground utilities? Seems a little mature vegetation shoulda been saved.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
That roof looks like it was a royal pain in the rear, and 200 pages of specs my head is hurting just thinking about it, on a side not I could probably give my truss guy a coronary if I handed him those plans to bid

1 - 17 of 17 Posts