Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally got the GF's house rented and now it's apparent there is an electrical issue. when the master bedroom 120V AC unit cycles on or an outlet is used for a heavyer load like a george forman grill the two hot legs in the panel change voltage to neutral/ground but still approximately 240V. hot to hot. for example I would get 115 and 125 before and 105 & 135 after. This is on the 0000 wires comeing into the main breaker.
cycling the only 240 load (larger AC) has no effect.

I visually checked the wires from the weather head back to the utility transformer and visually they look OK including the ground wire comeing down the utility pole. I went up and checked the voltage comeing into the weather head and get 120.5 and 119.5 consistently regardless which loads are on or off in the house.

which leads me to believe the problem is an open or badly connected neutral somewhere in the 175' buried run from loadcenter to the pedestal. Or from the weatherhead down to the meter socket. the pedestal is concrete with no access other than the meter socket.
does this sound like decent logic?

So the plan is my friend the PI electrician from the electrical shop will ask his friend from the power authority to pull the meter and take a look to see if they think its their problem. If not and its easily identifiable/fixable I can pay the govt crew cash to fix it instead of paying disconnect fees and presenting signatures/ plans and other expensive paperwork. Said it may be around $400.
Lesson learned when I build my house I should make sure I have as much access as possible to test points.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,951 Posts
Swinging neutral is what the POCO guys called it when we had it here. Our house was powered by a transformer 5-600' away. Ultimately, their solution was to give us our very own transformer ~40' from the house.

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts