Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I install alot of PVC railings durring the summer,and just about every stoop is out of sqaure with the house ,brand new ones , and when i'm done with the railings some customers have the balls to say the railings are not straight,until i show them whats really wrong,i did one a few weeks ago that was 5" out,some of the work looks good ,but for crying out loud why the hell can't they be sqaure,then they either make them too level (no water run off)
or there is too much pitch,i've done one that was 3" out of level on a 36" top,sure great for skiing,but your ankels start to hurt standing there for more than 60 sec,lets all say it together 3'-4'-5',3'-4'-5',3'-4'-5' .i hope they here us,then we'll work on the level chant. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
NYWood, I have seen a PVC railing system with a 3 inch balustrade (spindle type) and was wondering if you have worked with it. If you could give me some feedback that would be great. I am just wondering if the quality and strength is there. It is about 30% cheaper than a cast polymer or fiberglass and want to know if I would be better off paying the extra cash.

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
PVC railings

K custom home said:
NYWood, I have seen a PVC railing system with a 3 inch balustrade (spindle type) and was wondering if you have worked with it. If you could give me some feedback that would be great. I am just wondering if the quality and strength is there. It is about 30% cheaper than a cast polymer or fiberglass and want to know if I would be better off paying the extra cash.
I have not installed the 3" baluster yet but i have installed the 1 1/2",the strength is there for what i install, i use bufftech and the rails have metal inserts,top and bottom ,its very strong,i like this brand because the post are all routered out to accept the rails,no bullsh-t external brackets to mount,looks much cleaner,the porch post don't come routered,i do it myself .the pvc railings are much easier to install.the only down fall is it does scatch fairly easy,but under normal use it should hold up very well,its by far my favorite,i generally install it mostly in concrete stoops,i don't use the supplied brackets ,i have a much better system, around here i have people beating down the doors for it,I've installed it in million dollar homes over looking the bay,were they could of had any type ,but they chose the PVC,no painting,no rusting,a great warranty,what more could you ask for? after installing Pvc i won't even consider anything else,we make decent money on them,installations are fast,a standered 6 post porch ,we can do three a day at $80 a post just for labor.by the way i have seen the 3" baluster railings and they are beautiful.what do you plan on installing them on? :Thumbs:

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6stringmason said:
Dont confuse people who pour porches, stoops, walls, driveways, garages, etc.. with masons. Youre going to give us a bad name. As far as I know masons work with brick, block, stone, and anything else that goes up.
as far as i know masons work with brick and cement,which is primarily what stoops are made of in these neck of the woods, cement mason,brick mason,or just plain mason, its still a mason,if the same guy comes and pour's a footing for a stoop and then comes back and applies the brick,is he still a mason? of course,I,m not trying to give anyone a bad name ,some of the mason's thats done work that i've seen have already done that.Im just pointing out examples of bad jobs that i see no reason for,its the same for any trade there are bad examples in all of them, i don't know why,but the quality of work looks like the "eyeball it in" method is being used, i think some of it is the boss drops off a bunch of idots fresh off the boat,and they just were not taught the correct way,ok so maybe i should refer to them as "make believe masons" a freind of mine had a job done by his landscaper and he did the same dropped off a bunch of young spanish guys who don't speak english and after i pointed out all them problems, unlike most people,he made them tear it out and do it the way i instructed(the sidewalk was 12' higher than grade) they could'nt seem to understand "follow grade",they tried to level everything,the side walk was back pitched to the stoop (nice frozen pond in the winter).even the belguim block at the curb was no good,the street pitched from left and right to a sewer drain in the middle,they leveled that and now its about 12" high at the drain and it looks terrible,don't take it personal,its meant for these fly by night idiots. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ny, I will be installing the balustrade sytem on a large porch roof. They will not need to be to code as the roof will not be accessable, and only want a rail height of 28". I am building a Georgian Federal and want the detail. Please give me the name of the manufacturer with the nicest rail. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts