Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the bad GC comments and never really give a sh*t, then today while I met the plumbing inspector I thought about it.
This week I cleaned up after one sub, another left the key in the door when he left (The HO called me on that). And another forgot to call for a rough in so sheetrock needs to be rescheduled.

I never nickel dime. I always pay within a few days if not on the spot or net 30 if thats the deal.
I bring coffee and donuts, sometimes lunch. And always qualify customers so no one does a lot of estimates for jobs that don't get done.

I'm good with all that, I don't think I'm special, and no one that works with me says nothing bad because it would sound trite and bitchy.
My GC friends are pretty much the same.

How and where the hell are you guys finding all these bad GC's?

·
Banned
846 Posts
I think it's a lack of people skills. Let's face it, this is a people job. The work is somewhat secondary to your ability to work for/with all kinds of different personalities. I think there are some GC's who can do great work, but are lousy with people. Have short tempers, get pissed easily. Despite the fact that they are good at their trade, they don't get good reviews.

This job is also about planning, all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on before we set foot on a jobsite. Making a schedule, co-ordinating deliveries, making contingencies for delays, etc.

If you're going to be on your own and not an employee not only do you need to be good at your craft, you also have to be good with people (sometimes that means playing therapist, psychologist, or social worker if it gets the job done), and you need to be able to plan and co-ordinate things effectively.

Not all of us are good at all that. My weakness is planning, I find it difficult to account for all the variables. Usually weather bites me hard towards the end of the landscaping season.

·
Banned
917 Posts
I think it's a lack of people skills. Let's face it, this is a people job. The work is somewhat secondary to your ability to work for/with all kinds of different personalities. I think there are some GC's who can do great work, but are lusy with people. Have short tempers, get pissed easily. Despite the fact that they are good at their trade, they don't get good reviews.

This job is also about planning, all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on before we set foot on a jobsite. Making a schedule, co-ordinating deliveries, making contingencies for delays, etc.

If you're going to be on your own and not an employee not only do you need to be good at your craft, you also have to be good with people (sometimes that means playing therapist, psychologist, or social worker if it gets the job done), and you need to be able to plan and co-ordinate things effectively.

Not all of us are good at all that. My weakness is planning, I find it difficult to account for all the variables. Usually weather bites me hard towards the end of the landscaping season.
You feel way too much Bob.

·
Banned
846 Posts
You feel way too much Bob.
Maybe you don't feel enough. Next time I'm in Tulsa I'll stop by. I can hold you and let you cry on my shoulder for a while. Make you feel loved, nurtured, and respected. It'll be great! :thumbsup:

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I agree with Bob, lack of people skills, I get both good and bad reviews, but I will openly admit to being an *******, well that's what the guys say anyway, mostly because I am strict, I mean don't get me wrong, we horse around a bit, but they know when it is time to work and time to play...

As for customers, some love me some hate me, but I still get repeat business from both. So I must be doing something right.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's OK, I got it off my chest. Before I became a GC I was a carpenter for years so I knew how I wanted my subs to be treated, generally better than some of the GC's treated me. That SF system pricing and the constant "you'll make it up on the next one" mentality wouldn't be how I ran things.
I stick with the same guys and never have trouble, just little things like not locking up.

i

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
These :
This week I cleaned up after one sub, another left the key in the door when he left (The HO called me on that). And another forgot to call for a rough in so sheetrock needs to be rescheduled.
are the rewards for this:

I never nickel dime. I always pay within a few days if not on the spot or net 30 if thats the deal.
I bring coffee and donuts, sometimes lunch. And always qualify customers so no one does a lot of estimates for jobs that don't get done.
Aint it great?

It's slow for a lot of subs right now and when it's slow people tend to drop the ball a lot more. It's human nature to get sloppy and lose that edge and motivation when it's slow.

Ever go in a restaurant on a slow night? Service usually is the worst you'll experience, go back on a busy weekend night and service is much improved. Logic would tell you service should be the best on a slow night since the staff has more time to devote to less tables, but its not the way it works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You Attract Who You Are

When you are a responsible, well-run GC, you tend to attract good subs, who in turn introduce you to other GCs that they like to work with. It's kind of a filtering system that is great, but also skews your view of what's out there.

The other path is, if you're disorganized, you draw in disorganized subs who have a history of working with other disorganized GCs, and you see the world as messed up.

Before I get slammed for blaming the victim, I know everyone can run into a problem sub or GC. The difference is that some people have a good filter for cutting out the problems, and other people have trouble cutting the troublemakers out of the picture. The better you are at figuring out who is a problem, the fewer problems you're going to see.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tom, you are correct and the subs I work with are stellar. I still deal with small issues that I believe is inherent to being in peoples homes. Often though I see the bad GC comments here and like any generalized comments people seem to enjoy plastering an entire profession as bad (never good).

Remember the "blood sucking lawyers" comment in the movie Money Pit?
The GC was pawing the HO saying "I just want to get a little lamb".
We all got nicked in that movie.:laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Remember the "blood sucking lawyers" comment in the movie Money Pit?
The GC was pawing the HO saying "I just want to get a little lamb".
We all got nicked in that movie.:laughing:

Not the demo guys, they were stellar. :laughing::laughing:

Reactions: silvertree

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
I read the bad GC comments and never really give a sh*t, then today while I met the plumbing inspector I thought about it.

I'm good with all that, I don't think I'm special, and no one that works with me says nothing bad because it would sound trite and bitchy.
My GC friends are pretty much the same.

How and where the hell are you guys finding all these bad GC's?
You are the exception and not the norm. You care about your clients and subs. Most GC's and builders tend to treat their subs like Pony Express horses. Ride them hard till they are beat and switch horses. There are few contractors out there with any loyalty toward their subs. It has to work both ways.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I am very lucky. I say this very humbly I have the best subs. They go above and beyond every time.

I have worked with most of them 10+ years after going through tons of idiots. We are like family and I treat them as such. Some of them have keys to my vehicles, to my storage sheds and office.

I can call them for anything and they can do the same of me. I believe in karma. I treat most people well and usually get it in return.

If you treat me like an idiot your gonna get it in return x3.

·
General Contractor
8,192 Posts
I agree with you, nothing beats long lasting relationship with your sub's. Everyone know what you expect and everyone does what they do best. :thumbup:

I am very lucky. I say this very humbly I have the best subs. They go above and beyond every time.

I have worked with most of them 10+ years after going through tons of idiots. We are like family and I treat them as such. Some of them have keys to my vehicles, to my storage sheds and office.

I can call them for anything and they can do the same of me. I believe in karma. I treat most people well and usually get it in return.

If you treat me like an idiot your gonna get it in return x3.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.