Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( The company that's remodelling my bathroom by making it bigger has framed the new extended wall, cut into the floor, wall and ceiling and when I measured the walls I found out that there is ONE INCH (1") difference between one bathroom wall and other in front of it and same 1" difference is in the width of the walkway that's gonna be next to the bathroom. One end of the walkway is 53 inches wide (must be 54") and another one is 54".
Now it's quite a job tro fix this messing up the floor again etc. Can you tell me is one inch kind of "allowable" or not? Because standing outside of the "future walkway" I can even visually see that "missing inch" and I can see how the walkway narrows down at the end even if it is "only" one inch difference between it's two ends. So what would you do?

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
There may be a reason for the difference. Your house could be out of square. Two the framers suck. I would do more over all measurements. Measure the other side of the wall to see if it is out with the existing. They could of paralelled up the bathroom which if your if your house is out would make the hallway f'd up. In this case there isn't much you can do unless you want your new bath screw up. Remodels are remodels you can't do much to the existing unless you want to pay more.
But double check and don't be afraid to ask them why the walls are out.
There is also the option of firing out the wall to 53 inches. Which is a ***** when they are out like that but can be done.

I have had problems like this after cleaning up some ********************balls mess. I would try to hide it in closets if I could.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
If the 1" difference was done on purpose, then your contractor should have discussed it with you, and explained why. If it wasn't done on purpose, then you'd better discuss it with your contractor, or better yet, with your new contractor. You should also let him know, for his benefit, that Stevie Wonder can do better than that (drunk). Allowing your framer a difference of 1/4" is plenty generous, especially in a bathroom or kitchen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mikesewell said:
If the 1" difference was done on purpose, then your contractor should have discussed it with you, and explained why. If it wasn't done on purpose, then you'd better discuss it with your contractor, or better yet, with your new contractor. You should also let him know, for his benefit, that Stevie Wonder can do better than that (drunk). Allowing your framer a difference of 1/4" is plenty generous, especially in a bathroom or kitchen.

No, it was not done on purpose. They simply did it carelessly not paying enough attention to the measurements and then blamed my house being
not level etc. You can even see the problem in the pattern of the linoleum of the walkway. It was easier just to go on with it than to rip everything off, but the damage is done and I will see how it will look when everything is finished. Believe me, no one wants their walkway to be 54" at one end and 53" at another unless it's a trailer or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
walls

I would have furred out both sides of the wall by using scrap 1x,3/4 and 1/2" ply where it could be used and riped down some 2x for the rest
1" strips on one end of the wall to nothing on the other using a chalk line from both ends to get the shim thickness.Easy fix but never should of happend in the first place.
P.S extension jams would have to be added to one side of the door jam.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Was your framer the lowest bidder?

·
Registered
6 Posts
:( The company that's remodelling my bathroom by making it bigger has framed the new extended wall, cut into the floor, wall and ceiling and when I measured the walls I found out that there is ONE INCH (1") difference between one bathroom wall and other in front of it and same 1" difference is in the width of the walkway that's gonna be next to the bathroom. One end of the walkway is 53 inches wide (must be 54") and another one is 54".
Now it's quite a job tro fix this messing up the floor again etc. Can you tell me is one inch kind of "allowable" or not? Because standing outside of the "future walkway" I can even visually see that "missing inch" and I can see how the walkway narrows down at the end even if it is "only" one inch difference between it's two ends. So what would you do?
Best bet is to tell him you want it corrected before anything else on the job is done cut and dry.If he has any kind of pride in his work ,it will be taken care of.

·
Registered
177 Posts
don't wait till the job is done to see what it will look like. it will take longer to fix if you don't like it, not to mention cost if the contractor says you let it go when you saw it. good luck with it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts