Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So get this. I get a call from an indian lady saying that her 1 piece garage door roller arm and roller is broken. So I get to the job and see that a hinge has to be installed with a new roller. Also find the other side of the garage door has a hinge arm that's ready to snap as well. so i tell her it'll cost her 120 with parts and labour to fix. So she's like .. wow...well how much to just buy the parts...because my husband's a 'technician' and he can do the job.

I'm like well I'll sell you the parts for 30 bucks. She's like ok we'll just buy the parts. I'm upset because I drove like 20 + minutes to get to this job and don't make anything...but at the same time as long as my gas is covered I'm not really that mad .... yet.

So she takes the parts, and tells me she's going to go inside to get money. She goes inside, comes back out with some other guy. Supposedly her 'tennant' .. and they're talking in their language for about 2 mins....then the guy comes to me and says that theres some other problems (wants tracks secured tighter and DOUBLE cross braced LOL) (note: completely uneccessary and tryinig to get me to do extra work) .... and he says in the next breath...her husband is away on vacation...can you do it for 100 bucks? I lol'd ... said nope...initial quote was for 120 but with the extra work you want it will be 150.

So she's like ok ... i'll get my husband to do it ... so I try to be nice explaining what they will have to do in order for them to get it to work right. After my 3 minute tutorial, they talk some more in their language and then ask me if i can do it and AGAIN they offer me 100 bucks. I say listen, i've been here for 15 minutes (and starting to get pissed off) ... I will NOT do it for that....furthermore I have other jobs I have to do today so this is wasting my time...

so finally i hit the point where i don't even want the job...and could care less whether they buy the parts off me or not. I'd gladly lose the gas money to get the [email protected]#$ out of there. So I tell them...u know what...i don't even want to do the job. even IF u give me the 150 i won't do it. if you want the parts take them for 30 but if not, i'll take them back and you can call someone else.

so this b#@# starts smilling looking at her tennant saying'oh he's mad' .. you're f#@@# right i'm mad..then they start changing their tune. 'ok....i'll buy the parts..but i want u to install them as well' ... so they're begging me to come back on monday ..... i'm like ok give me the money and i'll come back on monday (sure as fk not but they don't know that) .. and this b#@#$ tells me..no ... I'LL HOLD THE PARTS UNTIL U COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB ... THEN I'LL PAY YOU... hahhaha..takes my parts for ransom. .....wow i was ready to burn the house down.

My hand was out saying listen...give me parts pack....and u can call another company...she would not give me parts back!! And i'm not a guy that would rip something out of a woman's hands. Thank god it worked out thtat she went to bank and shipped me the $$. When she got back she's like...sorry for the delay...here's 40 bucks for your time. I'll see you on Monday. I was like no problem.

The day she sees me again is the day the royal flush loses to 72 high lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/justifiable.html

Justifiable homicide is the killing of one person by another that is committed without malice or criminal intent. When a person commits a justifiable homicide they are not guilty of a criminal offense. Homicide can be considered justifiable homicide if it is committed in self defense, the defense of others, while trying to prevent of serious crime, and in the line of duty. Capital punishment is also considered justifiable homicide. Preventing a prisoner from fleeing by means of deadly force may also be considered justifiable homicide.
If I was on the jury I'd totally acquit you under this statute. Wasting your time, holding your part hostage, and beating you down on price constitutes, in my mind, a serious crime. :thumbsup:

Now you just need to find eleven like minded people. :whistling

Anyone here fit the bill? :laughing:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Call me racist but I am asian. In my dealings with indians (from india) I find they are the most slimey and dishonest business folks around. If I were you, I wouldn't have sold them any parts...the moment someone low balls me after nicely being I'm very firm..I take the high road and walk. People who go to that extent on trying to low ball you are a RED FLAG indicator of other problems later on shall you elect to do work for them. Why put yourself thru unnecessary stress for a few bucks..not worth it. I'm in the service business, Not the door to door parts sales business. Any inventory on my vehicle is not for sale separate. I once denied the sale or loan some conduit to a electrician in a new subdivision, the nearest supply place was 100 miles round trip....I denied him conduit because I told him... if you can't be prepared to do the job...why did u bid against me and u got half of it from the developer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Damn dude, where the hell were you at that the supply place was a 100 mile trip? I'd guess Wyoming or Montana. Lots of empty spaces out there.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Act like a pissant, be treated like one. They walked all over you and you let them. :no:
Harsh...Kinda true...But harsh.:laughing:

·
Registered
117 Posts
bad beat

If THEY squawk...I WALK, perfectly simple.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Damn dude, where the hell were you at that the supply place was a 100 mile trip? I'd guess Wyoming or Montana. Lots of empty spaces out there.
Bingo... on the outskirts of INL in Idaho. He referred to my attitude as the California attitude (cut throat) was my nickname for awhile out there.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I feel sorry for the op for getting con'd by a bunch of third world imported bastards that came in here around the technology revolution 10 years or so ago.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Had this issue with some indian people in the UK. We fitted fully pumped heating system and they was complaining about how much it was from start to finish. We left the job and they got the invoice and was told to pay that day. They then walked around and tryed to find problems so they could knock money off the job. But the house was a crap hole anyway but They couldnt find anything :no: .

They said we could come around in the morning and pick up the money in cash. We returned in the morning and on the way they called us saying that there is water pouring through the ceilings and 10 mins later we pull up at the house. We walked in and every rad was leaking water from the valves on either end. We looked at each other and knew exactly what they had done. They lossened all the fittings and then tryed to tell that it was our falult and they will sue us for new floors, carpet, ceilings, walls, electrics, TV's and all. We didnt even tighten up the rads and just let them keep leaking water and told them we needed our payment. 20 mins of argueing later they paid up and we left whilst water was still pouring through the ceilings. :laughing:

You gotta watch some of these people.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A few days ago we had a member describing the correct way to perform a Nazi salute.
Now it seems we are casting dispersions on a large portion of a continents people.
I hope The Southern Poverty Law Center isn't going to give us a visit soon.:eek:

Edit: Perhaps this should be moved to Politics, Religion and Nationalities.

Ha ha, I kill myself...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
2 years ago I started subcontracting to the local shipyard tht is indian owned. After finishing the job and submitting the invoice I asked them if I could come and pick up the check in a couple of weeks.

2 weeks later I found out they had put on the PO that I had never recieved(was told my proposal was accepted) that they paid 30 days from invoice. Neither of the ladies could explain why they had said yes when asked about payment in 2 weeks. On day 31 I showed up and was told the boss was off island and would not be back to sign checks for 3-4days. I was getting tired of the BS and decided I did not care if I never worked for them again. I told them I was going to lucn and when I came back I expected to be paid and I did not care how they did it cash check or even money order and piss poor planning is not an excuse.
So when I get back from lunch as expected they tell me they no way to pay me. So I leave politely. I am sure they thought I would be getting a lawyer(and I know their lawyer and he's good)
Instead I went to the Navy ship and asked them for a favor which they were happy to do as they had no love for the shipyard. I got them to call and ask why the compressor guy was on the boat saying he had not been paid and was going to take his parts out of the compressor?
about a min or two later I get a call on my cell from the shipyard saying I cant take the parts back or I would not get paid. I explain that I was allready not getting paid for the labor and I was not about to give away free parts also. However I would gladly put the parts back in IF I was paid for the original job AND for removal and reinstelation in ADVANCE.
So they then tell me I can come over to the office and get a check for the original amount. So now I knew I had the upper hand.
I told them I had allredy been to the office twice today without getting paid and was not planning on comeing by again. But......in the interest of being reasonable I would stop dismantling the compressor for 30min if they wanted to bring a check to the ship.
20min later I had my check!

I pretty much figured that would be the end of that buisness relationship but 3 weeks later they asked me to bid and hired me for another overhaul. Now I get whatever of my line of work that comes thru and I get paid exactly at 30 days.

Its my opinion that it must be kind of a national pride kind of thing with indian buisnessmen and women. Like if they were easy to deal with it would be unpatriotic of them. As long as I look at it as part of the deal and expect it I dont mind so much. I also decided if someone wants to wait 30 days to pay needs to be charged 10% extra for the privlidge. That makes me not mind it so much.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Its my opinion that it must be kind of a national pride kind of thing with indian buisnessmen and women. Like if they were easy to deal with it would be unpatriotic of them. As long as I look at it as part of the deal and expect it I dont mind so much. I also decided if someone wants to wait 30 days to pay needs to be charged 10% extra for the privlidge. That makes me not mind it so much.
If I hear the name patel.. I run the other direction!! Hotel Motel Patel..... slum motel hotel and property owners.....

·
Registered
618 Posts
A few days ago we had a member describing the correct way to perform a Nazi salute.
Now it seems we are casting dispersions on a large portion of a continents people.
I hope The Southern Poverty Law Center isn't going to give us a visit soon.:eek:

Edit: Perhaps this should be moved to Politics, Religion and Nationalities.

Ha ha, I kill myself...
nazi salute..where?? I HITLER!!...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Since this has turned into a racial discussion I must admit with out prejudice I put up with the most price whining from Jews. If I see that mesuza (or whatever that damn scroll is called) at the door I prepare myself for the pain I am about to endur.

I've been squeezed by greeks, blacks, whites, asians, indians etc. I really think that some people are born terminally unhappy and are out there to piss everyone else off.

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
In my experience, not all but, 85% of people from India are disrespectful, inconsiderate, dishonest, obnoxious, none ethical, and they they will go behind your back and try to screw you any chance they get...I hate to see this happening, but thats the fact. After my last shenanigan when I took my customer to court and won, I stopped wasting my time going on estimates and when they call, I tell them upfront it is $125 to come out for consultation and provide a written estimate, and if I get the job, this amount will be deducted from the original price. Period.
On the general note, I think the free estimate times should come to an end.
Bring a car to a mechanic- $$$ Diagnostic charge.
Doctors office- $$$ Co-pay just to say hello.
Any other services - $$$ Just to say hello.
As an example- How much leg work we do and time we invest to put an estimate for mid-size project in a 40k range. Is our time and efforts we put in worthless? Think about it. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts