Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
adlyn construction
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i've been checking out this forum site for a few days and have learned alot of new tricks - thanks to everyone! i have a small renovation company in edmonton and my 1 year anniversary in business is this month. i've been tinkering around with many aspects of home renovations my entire life and also design and build small special effects systems for live stage on the side so i am pretty handy and meticulous. the reason i mention all the above is so that i don't get referred to a DIY site. i'm not a pro tiler by any means as many of you are, but i do take the time to do a good job and ensure the HO, and myself, are happy with the job.:notworthy

so here's my question: i'm just wondering if anybody can recommend an adhesive to apply a 4" ceramic backsplash over a bathroom mirror? the HO wants me to lay new flooring in all three bathrooms but leave the vanity's and CT's. the one-piece CT's already have backsplashes and the mirror's are sitting on them, but she wants a border to match the new flooring. in any other case i might just raise the mirror, but in this case, the light fixture is too close to the top of the mirror to do that and i'm trying to cut down labour costs for her. i was thinking of using PL, but will mastic do the trick?

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
hey all, i've been checking out this forum site for a few days and have learned alot of new tricks - thanks to everyone! i have a small renovation company in edmonton and my 1 year anniversary in business is this month. i've been tinkering around with many aspects of home renovations my entire life and also design and build small special effects systems for live stage on the side so i am pretty handy and meticulous. the reason i mention all the above is so that i don't get referred to a DIY site. i'm not a pro tiler by any means as many of you are, but i do take the time to do a good job and ensure the HO, and myself, are happy with the job.:notworthy

so here's my question: i'm just wondering if anybody can recommend an adhesive to apply a 4" ceramic backsplash over a bathroom mirror? the HO wants me to lay new flooring in all three bathrooms but leave the vanity's and CT's. the one-piece CT's already have backsplashes and the mirror's are sitting on them, but she wants a border to match the new flooring. in any other case i might just raise the mirror, but in this case, the light fixture is too close to the top of the mirror to do that and i'm trying to cut down labour costs for her. i was thinking of using PL, but will mastic do the trick?
Oh boy.....

Instead of asking if something can be done, maybe you should be asking if something should be done. I don't know exactly what you're dealing with but the picture I get in my head is ugly. How would you finish off the edge of the tile towards the glass? And please don't say caulk or worse off....with nothing.

I get that you're trying to make a buck and make a customer happy but I really don't think this is the way to do it. If you want be professional, try to talk her out of doing something goofy. That's a way to keep the labor costs down!

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
OK, this time I won't go with my first instinct and tell you to get a real job like I normally would. I can tell you however you are barking up the wrong tree with this idea. Just between me and you, it is a stupid idea.

Tell ya what you do. Take a piece of tile and hold it up against a mirror. What do you see looking at the reflection. Now, tell me honestly: How are you going to get rid of that reflection? You will see the back of the tile and a double line of caulk. Like I said...stupid idea. Tell her to use contact paper if she wants to trash up her bathroom.:)

·
adlyn construction
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, i figured it was a bad idea but thought i'd ask the pro's first. i was worried about the reflection too and dap would look awful. i think i'll just suggest removing the mirror and having it cut to fit above the back splash or just talk her out of it all together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts